dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Electrical Code - USA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical Code - USA Commercial or Residential 1999 / 2002 / 2005 versions - for UNITED STATES

#1   IP: 24.184.180.87
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Question Wires are too short to connect inside a junction box.

I installed a light fixture on the side of my garage, and I ran a line to get power from an existing light fixture on the front of the garage. I want both lights to be on the same line so they can share the existing switch that controls the front light. I could not tap into the electrical box at the front light fixture because the front of the garage is bricked and I could not feed the new cable from inside the garage through the wall (I suspect the cable does not go straight through the wall, but makes a turn before going through the brick). So, I cut into the cable from inside the garage and made my connections inside a junction box.

My problem is that when I cut the existing cable the wires were too short to connect inside the junction box, so I pigtailed a few scrap pieces of wire to make them long enough to connect. I connected them in a 4" x 4" junction box and placed a cover plate on it. The junction box is accessible.

My question is, is this the correct way to make the connection? Or, I read that I could install 2 junction boxes about a foot apart and install a cable this is long enough in between both boxes? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Vinny

Last edited by Vinny : August 14th, 2006 at 05:04 AM. Reason: left out a word
  #2   IP: 69.254.246.210
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

You must keep the wirenuts in a junction box they cannot be left in the open air void. Funny I see this all the time but doesnt make it acceptable. Your only choice is 2 junction boxes or rewire the circuit.

Roger
  #3   IP: 24.184.180.87
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Thank for responding to my question. I did make all the connections in 4" x 4" junction box and covered it. I should have made that clear when I wrote that I pigtailed a few scrap pieces of wire to make them long enough to connect. I will edit my original question.

Vinny
  #4   IP: 136.1.1.101
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

If all you did was make the individual wires longer with short pigtails within the JB then you are fine.

Roger
  #5   IP: 24.184.180.87
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM

That's exactly what I did.

Thanks
  #6   IP: 4.156.204.50
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

You may get away with it once but having the cable conductor ends too short after they enter the box can cause you to fail the rough inspection.

But I find it hard to understand that, while (in my town) the rules say wire ends at least 6 inches long for rough inspection, it is common to trim the wires back, perhaps to 3 to 4 inches, when wire nutting on pigtails for, say, outlets.