dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Plumbing - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Plumbing - Existing Home Plumbing repair / Remodeling Ideas and Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 64.231.137.173
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Default Propane Torch Issue

It's a new kit that I used once about 6 months ago. It worked fine. I tried using it again lately and the flame doesn't stay on. With the slightest breeze or whenever I move it on an angle the flame goes out. Sometimes it's difficult to ignite.
The tank is 3/4 full, and I checked 10 times for any debris in the nozzle but it's clean. It's a standard manual nozzle (not with the auto ignite) and I don't see any air/fuel ratio adjustments.

Also, when I ignite it with the sparker the flame will go out as soon as I move the sparker away from the tip, but if I leave it about an inch from the tip the flame will stay on.

What could be the problem?
________
RM100

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 05:20 AM.
  #2   IP: 71.67.106.93
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Rotaredom

sounds like its starved for air. Check the air inlet holes around the nozzle. Start it with less gas, and spark it immediatly after opening the valve. That should give you more available air.

Make sure it wasn't dropped on the 'head' and that theres no damage to the assembly (bent tube, ect)
  #3   IP: 156.63.21.11
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Same thing happened to me. Turns out it was a small spider that made its home in the nozzle. I washed it out and let the nozzle dry for a day...good as new! Good Luck!
  #4   IP: 64.231.137.173
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I know it wasn't dropped, and I can't see anything stock in the tube, but I'll try washing it out of blowing it with compressed air to see if it helps.
It worked before and now it doesn't so something definitely changed. I just wish I could adjust the air/fuel ratio, but the vents aren't adjustable.
________
Om616

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 05:20 AM.
  #5   IP: 69.157.58.211
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

How do you know the tank is 3/4 full? You might want to try a new tank. Also check the warranty, if you still can't get it to work, try going back to the store or contacting the mgfr.

Steve
  #6   IP: 64.231.137.173
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Good question. It "feels" 3/4 full. I think. And my guess is I had that flame on for less than 10 minutes, total. It should last longer than that right?

I got it from Home Depot, but the receipt is long gone. I'm terrible at keeping receipts. Maybe I'll get a new tank anyway to try it out.

I just thought of something - is there such a thing that would let me attach the nozzle to a BBQ propane tank? Like a hose with a special adapter. Reason I ask is because I use my torch 95% of the time in my shed, and next to me is my spare BBQ tank.
________
Yamaha specs

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
  #7   IP: 69.157.63.201
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you screw on the nozzle and open up the valve, you should hear a hissing sound that is loud and strong.....don't leave it on too long if it is hissing....we don't want no stinkin' explosion

Yes, you can hook up the torch to a BBQ tank, much like you can hook up a camping stove to a BBQ tank. My question though, is....'what do you do with the torch when you need to set it down?' You won't have the nice flat surface to rest it on.

I'm wondering here........if the tank has pressure in it & the nozzle is not full of gunk......if you have the valve open wide enough. You have to open the valve just a wee bit when you're lighting it, but then open it up quite a bit to make a nice, strong, blue/white flame.

Steve
  #8   IP: 64.231.137.173
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh
You have to open the valve just a wee bit when you're lighting it, but then open it up quite a bit to make a nice, strong, blue/white flame.
I think you and Mr T may have solved this.
Last night I lighted it, but had the valve open approx. 1/4 way and it stayed on - I was swinging it all over the place and it didn't go out (I was outdoors). If I open the valve 90% or more it goes out when I move it around.

And everyone else was correct too... when the valve is fully open it's starving for air.

I'll chalk this one down as user error. Thanks to everyone for their help!

And good point about where to place the nozzle when connected to a BBQ tank. I never thought of that.
________
Suzuki xl7

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
  #9   IP: 69.38.87.230
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Default blow torch wont burn pointed down

Torch lights fine. Will burn fine pointed up and sideways. But when I point it down with the nozzle below the tank it goes out. Who can help me?
  #10   IP: 130.76.32.211
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think they are supposed to work this way, since the propane vapor can't come out when upside down.