Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Electrical Code - USA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical Code - USA Commercial or Residential 1999 / 2002 / 2005 versions - for UNITED STATES

#1   IP: 70.179.23.136
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Default Tapping into romex in the attic

I installed a ceiling fan and now I need to hook it up.I know where I want to
tap into the romex but I have a little problem.
The line that I want to tap into is pretty dang tight and I am sure I will
not be able get the wire nut's on espically getting them on when in the
junction box I need to put there.
I could just wack the wire and extend it but I would think that would kinda
be rigging it that would mean I would have two junction boxes with in about two or three feet becouse the total lenght showing is only like two or three feet.
I am wondering what if I take the old romex at the wall plug and tape a new piece to it and then pull it from up in the attic to get it to where I have all the romex I need to only make one connection.
Though that would suck if it came apart in the wall.I already pulled the old piece a little to see how tight it was and it is pretty tight but it did move.
What I would do is cut the romex in the attic and pull about two feet out of the wall socket so I have a good amount to tape the new piece to and then go up to the attic and pull.And may be even put some kinda lube on it.
Is this a good Idea or no.Any one have any idea's for me?
Thank's Doug
  #2   IP: 69.157.57.66
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am wondering what if I take the old romex at the wall plug and tape a new piece to it and then pull it from up in the attic to get it to where I have all the romex I need to only make one connection.
Though that would suck if it came apart in the wall.
No, can't do that. It is forbidden to have splices inside the wall/ceiling, and every splice must be made up in a UL-approved electrical box and accessible to interior room space. An exception is that an electrical box is allowed if it is placed in an accessible attic space.

You could tap into that receptacle (assuming that the circuit has enough available power), cut a hole for adding a new wall switch for the new fan. Cut the romex (power off, of course) about a foot above the cut-out so you have spare Romex. You probably won't be able to pull the remaining Romex down from the attic, because it will be stapled to the studs, so you will likely have to drill the top plate in the attic, and fish a new length of Romex down to the opening for the switch. Then pop in the new box and switch.

Quote:
I could just wack the wire and extend it but I would think that would kinda
be rigging it that would mean I would have two junction boxes with in about two or three feet becouse the total lenght showing is only like two or three feet.
Yes, as an alternative, you would be permitted to add an electrical junction box a few feet away from your fan, and just wire in an "extention." Just don't be yankin' on the wire, and make sure the new box is accessible to the attic space.

Steve
  #3   IP: 209.123.245.235
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I would just go with the two junction boxes.
  #4   IP: 65.73.69.211
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

As mentioned two J boxes is no problem, done all the time.
I suspect your doing this in open attic? Just be sure boxes are accesible and u install covers and ground.
Dont forget to use a Fan rated box wherever your installing fan.
When ever pulling out old (cable) with new.(power off) make a loop with existing wires by twisting tight and then attach your new cable and then tape.Sometimes cable may move abit, but you may get hung up on staples.Another way is to tye a smaller gauge wire or fish tape to the old cable, thus this will slip past staples, then attach the new cable to your fish tape or wire and then horse thru.(does'nt always work though) GL