Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 66.222.106.86
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Default Intermittent Ignition Problem with Furnace

My furnace is failing to ignite more and more regularly. When I am cold and realize that it hasn't fired, it is a quick fix (I litterally have to just touch the Honeywell R8184 "Intermittent Oil Primary Control" and it kicks on). What is this "Intermittent Oil Primary Control," and is this something that is serviceable? It seems like it is just a relay of some sort, but I don't want to unwire everything and open up the box without a little more understanding.
  #2   IP: 68.33.30.65
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM

The R8184 is a fairly simple protective device that senses oil burner flame via a photocell and shuts down the oil burner motor if it doesnt sense flame.It is connexted between the 24v thermostat and the oil burner motor.
Attached is a link which will tell you about one of the R8184 models-there are a dozen or so,but the differences are usually small such as lockout time,maybe an alarm circuit etc.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/68-0111.pdf
  #3   IP: 66.222.106.86
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:54 AM

Default success

Thanks - from the pdf, I was able to see that there isn't any real serviceable components inside the relay, so I went down to the local plumbing and heating supply store and picked up a new one. After installing it, my problems are gone. If anyone happens to be in the Milford, NH area with any plumbing and heating needs, Masi Plumbing and Heating seemed to have a decent selection of goods (it ended up being my third stop this morning as both The Home Depot and The County Stores turned up empty for me), and the sales clerk was fairly helpful (I explained the symptoms that drew me to the conclusion that the relay was sticking, and he concured with my diagnosys).
  #4   IP: 72.70.35.194
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM

Default you guys rock! cleaning 'eye' fixed me!

I can't thank you enough for this service. My burner kept failing intermittently, 'oil guy' came out several times, replaced the electronics, even the blower motor, all to almost no avail. (it would run for a bit, then shut down).

Cleaning off the 'eye' fired it right back up.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

rp
  #5   IP: 24.62.28.250
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM

Default Honeywell R8184 "Intermittent Oil Primary Control"

My furnace is failing to ignite more and more regularly. When I am cold and realize that it hasn't fired, it is a quick fix (I litterally have to just touch the Honeywell R8184 "Intermittent Oil Primary Control" and it kicks on). What is this "Intermittent Oil Primary Control," and is this something that is serviceable? It seems like it is just a relay of some sort, but I don't want to unwire everything and open up the box without a little more understanding.
  #6   IP: 69.122.211.40
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:26 AM

My furnace is suffering from the same intermittent startups that require pressing the reset button to fire the furnace. It started as once a month, then the regularity increased to now its about once a day. I had the oil burner guy over and he thought it may be the control box but did not want to change it without knowing for sure. Instead he replaced the "eye" as indicated in one of the other replies, however the problem remains. I guess i need to change the control box.

MK
  #7   IP: 69.122.211.40
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM

I started a post in another area forgetting i subscribed to this thread. My problem did not go away with the replacement of the control box. I bought the replacment to the R8184 G1286 which i am told is the R8184 4009. It looks identical in all ways with the addtion of an LED light and a manual trip button for the reset. I'm assuming these 2 features has no bearing on the normal operation of the unit. Well, my new part doesn't work. I'ts cold here with a foot of snow forcast for tonight, so i reinstalled the original control boox and hit the reset button. It works fine except for the intermittent shutdown problem. any thoughts as to why the new part didn't fire the furnace.????
  #8   IP: 69.122.211.40
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM

The honeywell link posted by marksix provides a description of the features of the control unit and trouble shooting guides, however i do not understand because it points to a bad cad cell. What is this part and if it is bad, why does the old controller work with it?? It mentions the LED light on the terminal strip as being lit when the "oil primary control has locked out on safety".

Upon installation of the new unit, I get the red light indicated above. Why did this happen??? My "eye" has been replaced already (which was another readers problem), I wired the unit exactly as the old was wired, however the old unit fires the furnace upon startup of the reset. How do i "unlock" the oil primary control.

help please. snow coming !!!

MK
  #9   IP: 76.22.81.239
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Is the "eye" (Cad Cell) the correct part number for this controller? There is a Cad Cell troubleshooting section on page 9 of the referenced document. You basically need to measure its resistance with flame present. That will be problematic with no flame unless you make your own. But some of the checks may be valid with no flame at all (open or shorted -- I'm not sure what the normal behavior is of a dark cad cell).
  #10   IP: 69.122.211.40
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM

when the boiler mechanic came in originally, he showed me the old eye and that it was clouded over. thinking that was the problem he installed a new one. $ 120 later for service call and parts, the same intermittent operation that i had with the clouded eye is the same problem that i have with the new one.

the difference is that the old control box at least fired the boiler with the old eye or the new eye. there remains the intermittent operation that usually craps out overnight. waking up to a cold house is not fun. the new controller (R8184 4009) is supposed to be the replacement part for the R8184 1236 and does not fire the boiler. presumably the replacement controller would be compatible with other system parts. True ?

can this cad cell be jumped out as a test to see if the controller actually works? the new controller instructions did make comment to a cad cell (sold seperately of course!). I don't have meters to check output and resistance, just simple circut testers