dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Building Codes - Residential
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Building Codes - Residential International Residential Code 2000 or 2003

#1   IP: 209.245.9.154
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Default Range hood height

I am remodeling my house, including the kitchen. To be up to code (yes... I will be having inspections), I have to have ventilation for the gas range. The only place the range can go is in front of a pass-through to the dining room (small kitchen).

My options appear to be:
1) Buy a really expensive down-draft stove
2) Move the stove - the only place to put it near a wall would be diagonally in the corner
3) Put a hood over the stove.

Option #3 is definitely preferred, even though I'd have to build a soffit/chimney for the vent to the attic and out of the house, since there will be no wall cabinets on this wall.

Are there specific rules for how high the hood can be? It would need to be about 40 inches above the cook top to be clear of the pass through.

If this is OK, are there any CFM considerations for the hood? I'm not looking to buy a stainless $1000+ hood, either. I have found a decent white hood with 400 CFM for under $300 and a 300 CFM for under $200.

Thanks!
  #2   IP: 148.78.247.10
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

The IRC does not require a range hood. When a range hood is installed where required [associated with an open broiler] 100 CFM is minimum capacity.

M1502.3 Kitchen exhaust rates. Where domestic kitchen
cooking appliances are equipped with ducted range hoods or
down-draft exhaust systems, the fans shall be sized in accor-
dance with Section M1506.3.

The minimum is only required to ensure the fumes exit the duct to the outside. A ventless exhaust fan may be used. No exhaust fan at all is required if you have a window in the area that may be opened to serve as a source of ventilation in the kitchen.

The clearances required will be found in the installation instructions from the manufacturer of each unit.

Hope this helps

Wg
  #3   IP: 24.47.133.143
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saybrook View Post
I am remodeling my house, including the kitchen. To be up to code (yes... I will be having inspections), I have to have ventilation for the gas range. The only place the range can go is in front of a pass-through to the dining room (small kitchen).

My options appear to be:
1) Buy a really expensive down-draft stove
2) Move the stove - the only place to put it near a wall would be diagonally in the corner
3) Put a hood over the stove.

Option #3 is definitely preferred, even though I'd have to build a soffit/chimney for the vent to the attic and out of the house, since there will be no wall cabinets on this wall.

Are there specific rules for how high the range hoods can be? It would need to be about 40 inches above the cook top to be clear of the pass through.

If this is OK, are there any CFM considerations for the hood? I'm not looking to buy a stainless $1000+ hood, either. I have found a decent white hood with 400 CFM for under $300 and a 300 CFM for under $200.

Thanks!
not sure if this is still relevant but i would go with an option #3 oh and good luck with the inspection

Last edited by Dreamize : February 22nd, 2011 at 11:08 AM.