dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 151.196.19.82
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Default Where is fuse for Trane TUC080C942A0?

Regarding a 1994, Trane TUC080C942A0, natural gas furnace.

I can't locate the fuse in the unit.

I attempted to look at the main board but it appears to be sealed. To confirm, access to the fuse requires the cover to be removed from the main board?

Any experiences with where the fuse is located on these units?

While testing a limit switch, my jumper cable shorted and sparked. Now, the blinking light flashes a steady slow flash even when the thermostat is calls for heat. (This means idle waiting for call of heat.) As a result, the inducer’s fan will not respond.

Please advise.

Doc Doug
  #2   IP: 71.67.117.45
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Rotaredom

You may have fried something (low voltage supply, main board, ect. If there isnt a fuse mentioned in your manual, it may not have one. Often the fuse/breaker in your supply line is the only one.

Have you turned power off to the furnace for a few minutes? IT could have gone into a lockout mode.

Use a voltmeter to check the leads to your swich. If your schematic says you should have voltage where you dont, and the furnace is in the correct state to supply voltage (door/limit switches, correct operating mode), you will need to trace wires back to find the defective componet.
  #3   IP: 151.196.19.82
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. The furnace is located at my Mother-In-Law's house. I gave up after I could't find the fuse. I considered the Lock-Out feature. If locked out, would the on/off manual thermostat fan switch still work? This feature does work. Or would only the 24 volts feature no work?

Just for clarification, is the fuse typically accessible by looking at the main control board or is the fuse located on the circuit board only accessible by removing the wires and cover?

It appears that the main control board is sealed.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Doc Doug
  #4   IP: 71.67.117.45
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Rotaredom

If you are locked out, there may be a switch outside the furnace that turns the whole unit off, turn it off for a minute or 2 and turn back on. If there isnt a switch there, turn the breaker off in the panel (or remove the fuse if the house has fuses)

There may not be any fuses inside the furnace. You need to look at your manual and schematic if you have them. Otherwise you'll have to find and trace wires as mentioned previously.....or call for service. If you think you found something, do not bypss it, or put a larger fuse in (if there is a fuse). If a fuse keeps blowing, you got a problem. Bypassing, or upping a fuse is a easy way to burn a house down or kill somebody.

Someone else in here may post in on this too. Good luck