dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 211.30.13.70
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Question Whirlpool Fridge, compressor won't restart occasionally

Hi,

I own a Whirlpool fridge (WBM35LW), which is just over 2 years old. For the last few days this fridge has shown a strange behaviour, say it better a fault. Every time after running perfectly for few hours, about 5 hours or so, the compressor fails to restart, i.e. buzzing from the compressor trying to restart and few clicking noises from the relay can be heard clearly. When this happens, I have to turn off the power for 0.5-1 hour or so. After this the compressor will run for another few hours before the symptom shows up again. Onced it runs, other functions seem to be normal.

Look forward to hearing from someone, who may have the same experience and is able to find out the cause of the problem.

Your help is very much appreciated...

Cheers,
RDSARD
  #2   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
WBM35LW
Nothing would come up for me with this partial #.

Quote:
Every time after running perfectly for few hours, about 5 hours or so, the compressor fails to restart, i.e. buzzing from the compressor trying to restart and few clicking noises from the relay can be heard clearly. When this happens, I have to turn off the power for 0.5-1 hour or so.
Some -possible- trouble makers:
- low voltage ( extension cord, not on a dedicated line )
- compressor drawing too much current
- bad start relay/overload
- poor air flow ( plugged condensor coils, bad condensor fan motor - if used )
- bad compressor

http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator.html#clicking
Something that -may- help.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 211.30.13.70
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Smile

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, I have forgotten to mention that I live in Australia and the model no. WBM35LW is probably the one sold in Australia only. Beside this, the problem seems to appear when the room temperature climbs over 80F during the day. At night everything seems okay. (Note: it is high summer here at the moment). I had a talk with a technician and he told me nothing wrong with the fridge, as long as there is no sign of defrost and/or of sounding alarm. He gave me the following explanation. When the gas pressure in the cooling sealed system is higher than the room atmospheric pressure and the compressor tries to restart, it draws excessive current. To prevent this from burning the relay cuts it off, hence the clicking noise. After few minutes of waiting both pressures will equal and the compressor will have no problem to restart. Following his advice, when the symptom was reappearing, I just didn't do anything but observing. After few unsuccesful clicks and pauses, say last about 2 minutes, the compressor was able to restart. What do you think about his explanation? Does it make sense?

Look for forward to hearing your comment...

Best regards,
RDSARD
  #4   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What do you think about his explanation? Does it make sense?
Quote:
I had a talk with a technician and he told me nothing wrong with the fridge, as long as there is no sign of defrost and/or of sounding alarm. He gave me the following explanation. When the gas pressure in the cooling sealed system is higher than the room atmospheric pressure and the compressor tries to restart, it draws excessive current. To prevent this from burning the relay cuts it off, hence the clicking noise.
Normal...nope.

Pressures inside the system must equalize before the compressor can restart again. This equalization normally needs 5-8 minutes. Example: If the refrigerator gets unplugged or is turned off and is plugged right back in or is turned right back on the compressor normally cannot restart without sitting off for the 5-8 minutes to allow the high and low side pressures inside the refrigeration system to equalize and the compressor will click on and off for a while, and then evenually start back up. A cold control short cycleing ( turns the refrigerator off and then tries to turn the refrigerator back on too soon ) can cause the compressor to click on and off a fews times.

Something still doesn't add up here!!

Quote:
Sorry, I have forgotten to mention that I live in Australia and the model no. WBM35LW is probably the one sold in Australia only
Thankx for that info...I am in Canada.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 211.30.13.70
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Hi Jeff,

Today it's really hot here and the symptom is getting worse. The compressor had tried to jump unsuccessfully and the relay was clicking every 5 minutes or so for over 2 hours before I decided to unplug the power. Luckily, I got your last posting, explaining about the pressure, on time. Equipped with your explanation I rang up the technician and he is willing to change the compressor free-of-charge. Luckily, the warranty for the sealed unit system is still valid.

Anyway, I am very thankful for your help and wish you a Very Happy New Year 2006!

Cheers,
RDSARD
  #6   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Luckily, the warranty for the sealed unit system is still valid
Good deal!

Quote:
I rang up the technician and he is willing to change the compressor free-of-charge
That is a good plan!

Quote:
wish you a Very Happy New Year 2006
Thank you, the same to you and yours

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #7   IP: 74.227.178.168
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM

Default Whirlpool Model ED25TQXGW00

I'm having a very similar problem. My problem started after a storm one night and the power went off for only a few seconds. I noticed clicking noises for a while after that and then it stopped clicking and started to run normally. After a few months I noticed one morning it was clicking again (about every 5 min.) so I checked the freezer and found that everything was thawing out. I unplugged the power, removed the back and found the clicking sound is coming from the relay/overload switch on the side of the compressor. Is there a way to by-pass the relay or the overload switch to determine if the compressor's bad.
I plugged the power cord back in after about 20 or 30 minutes and the compressor started immediately and that's where I'm at at this point. I don't have any warranty left unfortunately so I'm on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty handy but I don't know much about refrigeration so if anyone can guide me through some troubleshooting I would appreciate it. I live in the United States. Thanks in advance for your help and quick reply.
Jim