dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 24.38.6.190
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Question Bryant Plus 90 350MAV

My Bryant furnace is giving me fits. It stopped working yesterday, meaning the inducer motor was running, but the burners were not igniting. I turned off the thermostat, cleaned out some dust and looked for loose wires, turned the thermostat back on, and she lit up and ran. Then last night, the same issue returned, where the inducer motor ran but no ignition. I tried the thermostat trick several times, but nothing. Finally, after an hour or so, I gave up and shut off the thermostat.

I did notice the flashing red LED below, and consulted the manual to find the flashing leads to a code. One long flash, three short means a fault code "31". This equates to "Pressure Switch Not Closed", and directs me to check the PVC pipes leading to the combustion chamber, and check the air intake pipes outside the house. All clear from what I see. An hour later, I turned the thermostat back on, and the darn thing lit up and ran. Well, this morning, no heat. Now I'm befuddled. I try the thermostat trick, with no result. Same flashing, fault code 31. I take off the the cover to the burner assembly, clean out some minor debris, pull out the igniter, re-install it, reseat the connections, put it all back together, and she fires up. What the hell do I have here? Is there a connection that could be the cuplrit? Is it a circuit board or bad switch? What/where is the "Pressure Switch"? Anybody have any insight? Thanks!
  #2   IP: 67.141.13.9
Old October 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Sounds like one of the PVC pipe's are blocked. Ive seen were birds will get in them and build a nest during the summer and they will make their way on back to were it would be hard to spot.

Also I had a friend call me over having the same reaction and turned out that one of his sons stuck a tennis ball in the PCV pipe.

Im taking it that both in and out runs out doors. Some new 90% furnaces have it set up were only the combustion is leading outside and the intake being brought from inside the home. In this case the furnace must have enough air from around the house. Basicly do not close off in a closet unless it has fresh air leading to the closet.
  #3   IP: 156.63.169.2
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I have that furnace also. I have gotten that code and I called service and all they did was check the intake and exhaust going to the outside for debris and pulled off the small hoses going to the pressure switch and blow them out. Moisture sometimes gets in them and messes with the switch, which was my problem. I don't call service anymore for that code. I can handle the blowing and checking myself

The pressure switch is located right in front when you pull the front cover off. It is a round disc shaped thing and I believe is labled " pressure switch ". It has 2 hoses on it and the switch is screwed to the inducer motor housing. To me it looks like an EGR valve on a car.

Good luck!

Last edited by BOA : October 28th, 2005 at 08:04 AM.
  #4   IP: 24.38.6.190
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the input, guys. BOA you are a day late for me, though I thank you for the input. I had a service tech out yesterday and he replaced the pressure switch. He said that Bryants are known for this issue. Well, I haven't gotten the bill yet, but I'm certain that the next time I get the "31" code, I'll try your fix, BOA.

I'm going to contact Bryant and see if I can get some relief from them.....yeah, right!

Anyway, thanks for the input, fellas.
  #5   IP: 156.63.21.11
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Yep, I missed this one yesterday.

Any idea if the new switch is in any way different from the old one...a new and improved version??
  #6   IP: 70.40.231.201
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmurray24 View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. BOA you are a day late for me, though I thank you for the input. I had a service tech out yesterday and he replaced the pressure switch. He said that Bryants are known for this issue. Well, I haven't gotten the bill yet, but I'm certain that the next time I get the "31" code, I'll try your fix, BOA.

I'm going to contact Bryant and see if I can get some relief from them.....yeah, right!

Anyway, thanks for the input, fellas.
Bryant along with Day And Nite are produced by Carrier.
They have had these issues since the mid 80's. There have been a host of problems with these furnaces over the decades....they are of poor quality and design. Carrier should stay with something it knows well...Commercial refrigeration.
  #7   IP: 24.7.218.132
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Default Code 31 Problem

I have a Bryant Plus Pro 90 series 140 furnace and was experiencing the same issue and receiving a code 31. My furnace would run for approx. 15-20 min. and then shut off completely…giving me the code. About 4 hours later it would recycle and turn on again. I checked all connections, hot surface ignitor, etc. nothing helped. I then replaced the pressure switch which you can find on Ebay for $30. It seemed to work better but still received the code.
I then decided to call a Bryant service tech out to address the issue. First and foremost he noticed that the “schmucks” who installed the furnace had the entire exhaust going through a 2” pvc pipe. I then found out that the exhaust pipe is initially supposed to come out of your furnace at 2”…but then convert to 3” the rest of the way out. I also took out the plastic condenser (white plastic & located at the front of the furnace) and blew out the ½” vacuum line and all the other lines with an air hose. A bunch of caked up “gunk” came out of the ports. After I re piped the exhaust and converted it to 3” and blew out the condenser…the furnace works like a charm. It also seems to run more efficient now. Word of advice…make sure you clean out that condenser at least once a year to remove any built up gunk.
  #8   IP: 76.226.123.99
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:18 AM

Default fixed! Paying it forward.

My furnace started malfunctioning. Sometimes it will put out heat normally and sometimes the inducer motor starts up but the burner does not fire up thus no heat.

I checked the error code and it showed 31. Three short flashes and one long flash.

I proceeded to check all of the hoses connected to the pressure switch. The one hose connected from the top of the PS to the burner chamber was clear. However, the one hose connected from the bottom of the PS to the bottom of the secondary heat exchanger housing was gushing water as soon as I removed it from the PS.

I ended up checking from the PVC drain pipe to the white plastic Condensate Drain Connection. I ended up removing the whole CDC and proceed to fill it with water from the top opening to see if the water will drain out from the bottom. No water drained out.

I rinsed the CDC and than blowed forcefully from the top opening with my mouth. A bunch of gunk drained from the bottom opening.

Reinstalled the CDC and all of the hoses. The furnace ran perfectly.

I have attached two pictures of the CDC and its location inside the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	condensate drain connection.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	3993  Click image for larger version

Name:	condensate drain connection location in furnace.JPG
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3995  
  #9   IP: 76.226.123.99
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:22 AM

Default fixed! Paying it forward.

Bryant 350mav, 140, 90 plus furnace

My furnace started malfunctioning. Sometimes it will put out heat normally and sometimes the inducer motor starts up but the burner does not fire up thus no heat.

I checked the error code and it showed 31. Three short flashes and one long flash.

I proceeded to check all of the hoses connected to the pressure switch. The one hose connected from the top of the PS to the burner chamber was clear. However, the one hose connected from the bottom of the PS to the bottom of the secondary heat exchanger housing was gushing water as soon as I removed it from the PS.

I checked from the PVC drain pipe to the white plastic Condensate Drain Connection for blockage. I ended up removing the whole CDC and proceed to fill it with water from the top opening to see if the water will drain out from the bottom. No water drained out.

I rinsed the CDC and than blowed forcefully from the top opening with my mouth. A bunch of gunk drained from the bottom opening.

Reinstalled the CDC and all of the hoses. The furnace ran perfectly.

I have attached two pictures of the CDC and its location inside the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	condensate drain connection.JPG
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	3997  Click image for larger version

Name:	condensate drain connection location in furnace.JPG
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	3999  
  #10   IP: 184.155.122.39
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Default Bryant Furnace.

I also have a Bryant furnace that looks just like the pictures above. I was having an intermittent issue with the furnace running. We would wake up in the morning and no heat. I would go down and turn the furnace off and then back on. It would start up and run but we would have a strong smell coming from the registers that resembled a furnace that was turned on the first time. It would run okay. I read some of the forums and online info and it pointed to the capacitor or the blower motor going bad. When I had a day off (today) I opened the furnace and check out things. The motor turns freely. It did not seem to be hot. I decided to check all of the hoses for water etc. and took them off and blew them out. After I hooked them all back up and started the furnace it would start, kick out and run the purge motor but will not get any flame. On the pressure switch I check it by blowing and sucking the hose connection on the right side you can hear the switch open and close. However the left side hose connection will not make any noise. It is the one to the burner. Is it supposed to also make the clicking sound. When I took the hose off initially the plastic connection had some white build up. I used a paper clip to clean it our. Did I do something that I should not have? I also did find a wire from the blower motor (yellow) that was worn through from vibrating on the frame. I taped it up. Any help would sure be appreciated.