Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 66.81.95.72
Old September 8th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

Default outdoor wiring under deck

I forgot to ask on my last letter. I am wiring an outdoor outlet 25' from my house but about the last 10' is my deck. There is no way around it. What is the best way to do this. The deck is about 1 foot off the ground. I can pull a few boards off the deck and run it under the deck but on top of the ground. Is that okay? The deck is totally enclosed so it couldn't be bumped, cut, etc....
  #2   IP: 205.188.208.70
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Default Last 10'

Coming out of the ground--starting 24 inches below grade with your conduit--you have to protect your wire. You can run conduit for the remaining portion of your run. I wouldn't place it on the ground! If you can run it along side of the deck, then this would be practical. You are going to need a watertight bell box, and a weather proof cover. Make sure you ground your wires to the bell box. This outlet will also have to be GFCI protected [NEC 210.8] If you plan to run conduit for the entire 24'--which I do not recommend, because pulling wire through conduit is not easy--then you can bury your wire in accordance to code specifiactions (requirements). Remember: Once you start to emarge from the ground, you must start your conduit 24" below grade, unless you plan to use RNC, or heavy-wall steel for the full run.

PS: If you plan to use PVC, I would go with Schedule 80
  #3   IP: 208.74.75.130
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
jong0726

Default deck construction

when rebuilding or repairing decks, seek help and guidance at all times. this is to avoid any accident. i saw this site check it out if you want.

Last edited by jeff1 : May 19th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
  #4   IP: 24.161.64.124
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong0726 View Post
when rebuilding or repairing decks, seek help and guidance at all times. this is to avoid any accident. i saw this site check it out if you want.

WOW! Thanks for the SPAM! What would we have done without you. I know now that we are safe from the deck monsters.
And the OP from 2003 will be much safer knowing this.

Don't these SPAMMER LOSERS know that we ALL know the old format:
First post from a newly registered user:"Hey, I found this new site/thing/job/etc. It's awesome and it will save the world.
Check it out."