Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 152.163.252.65
Old August 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

Default Install overhead wiring to detached garage

Planning to install overhead wiring to detached garage that is 35 feet from house, over completely fenced in yard. Garage has two outside lights, one outlet on inside wall. And ceiling outlet for garage door opener. So I plan only one 20 amp circuit.
I know that the overhead wire must be at least 10ft above ground level, and be supported. My question is (1) what wire type do I use for this overhead installation, and how many wires do I need? (2) can I connect to the load side of the nearby meter and install panel in garage? or connect to service panel in inside house?
  #2   IP: 64.12.96.40
Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:30 AM

Default Small load

With such a small load, I would jump power from the house (unless you plan to do other things in the future, which will require more power). The NEC 225.6(A) requires a minimum of 10 awg for distances up to 50 feet. You will need weatherproof wire. I would use a wire size larger if you have winter weather. If hot weather, then leave some slack in your wire. You must make sure your wire will support itself, as well as the load, without excessive voltage drop.

I believe-from what I'm reading-that a #10 will work well for you. You will need a disconnecting means, which can be a snap switch, or breaker.

Just a few things. Wait for others to respond with more, or better information.
  #3   IP: 64.12.96.40
Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

Default Install overhead wiring to detached garage

Thanks OHM1 for the reply.
Is there any wiring around like Triplex in the 10ga range that is available for use in this type installation?
  #4   IP: 152.163.252.65
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:01 PM

Default Wire

Triplex wire can be found at your local electrical supply house. I would go to NEC Article 396 for support wires. Your height for your wires is right-on:10 feet from finished grade should be good for what you are doing, if your wires are safe from others touching it.

Wait for others to respond!