dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 65.31.167.192
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Default existing central air convert add on forced air heat

Hi,

I live in a neighbrhood that was updated by the airport for noise reduction. I have radiator heat now and they will only allow install central a/c meaning running duct work and all but do not allow addition of heat if you have radiator heat (dont ask me why). I want to know what it would take to add heat to this hew forced air a/c system. If need more info just post and I will reply.
Thanks
Tony
  #2   IP: 63.161.185.46
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Guru'

If you have radiators, you have one of the best types of heat transfer devices available already. If you feel like you must add forced hot air heat to the A/C's ductwork, it may or may not be possible. Is the ductwork they installed for the AC in the basement or the attic? Would you heat the air with Gas, Oil, Coal, Wood, or Electric? Ductwork sized for AC is generally bigger than ductwork designed for just heat, which is fine for you. A problem sometimes comes in when folks add AC to an old, heat only ductwork system. Further describe the AC system they installed, and you can get more accurate help. What I'm thinking is this... if you have a furnace already for the radiators, and it is in otherwise good repair, you can add either a steam coil or hot water coil in the ductwork for heat. If you'd like to go with a new furnace, then I need more info on the AC system.

Last edited by mdshunk : February 5th, 2004 at 04:13 PM.
  #3   IP: 65.31.167.192
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Default Update on a/c to heat

Thanks for the response Ill try and answer all I can. The radiator heat is good just really costly to run...I do not believe that it has been replaced in at least the last 30 years judging by looks and efficiency. The ductwork they installed for the a/c is 16"x8" on one branch that goes along the basement wall for about 14' and then there are branches coming off of that (6) 6" going to vents mounted in the floor for the 1st level of house. Then another one coming out 14"x10" of top of unit is about 14 feet going straight to second level then elbows off and another 14"x10" run about 14' with 2 grates and junctions off to an 8" pipe about 12' long into another room on also on second level. The unit itself is a model fb4bnf024 motor 1/4 h.p.,1.8fla. It does not really have a name brand that I can see. I have owners manual in hand and it says cac/bdp. I would like to heat it with gas seems most cost efficient. I believe the boiler to be in good shape it gets regular cleanings (burner and stuff) but just isnt efficient anymore. Normal gas bill in winter around 225.00 to 275.00. Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward to your response.
  #4   IP: 63.164.59.13
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Guru'

Yeah.... you have a Carrier 2 ton split system. The part in the house is the fan/coil unit. It has the evaporator coil in the bottom of the unit and the fan in the top of the unit. You can get a Carrier furnace and a coil case for on top of the furnace, and reuse the evaporator coil you already have. The air handler case and blower would get junked. Pretty easy job, but a little ductwork changing will be necessary (minor) to accommodate the height difference between the air handler you have now and the furnace with a/c coil that will replace it. I know that Carrier's midline gas furnaces can be had for about 800 bucks, wholesale. I don't think this is the typical DIY job, because of the gas piping involved, and the fact that the refrigerant piping would need some minor rerouting (certification required for this). If you were looking to have a company do this, this is certainly an EASY job for a pro. You don't really have to stick with Carrier, as far as that goes. I just said Carrier, beause it's more likely that you'll be able to reuse the indoor coil if you stay with that brand (or its sister brand Bryant, which is IDENTICAL). Yep, with gas bills like you're describing, now's the time for a plus-90 type furnace. Have a ball!