Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 129.253.217.137
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Default Hampton Bay Window AC Units?

It's getting near summer time, and I plan on installing a window AC unit. Currently we have no air conditioning, we live in Santa Clara County, California.

Home Depot carries a brand called Hampton Bay, about $380 for a 14,500 BTU unit (Energy Star) with remote. My 1955 home is 1120 ft^2, and the area it will be cooling is about 700 ft^2.

I will be installing it through an exterior wall, up high on the ceiling, about 8 feet from the floor, we have a sloped ceiling. Unit will be installed in upper right hand side of far window, see attached photo. Replacing the small house fan.

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL119/...3/25358096.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations? All I really care about is noise, yet no one seems to rate the sound level of these things even within the same brand, except that newer ones are much quieter than old ones. I plan on building an isolated frame.

SharpT
  #2   IP: 148.78.243.121
Old May 18th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Air conditioners are normally rated for noise. Look for the "Zone" on the specs of each air conditioner. This tells of noise ratings. Also look for efficiency rating of each a/c unit. Efficiency tells you how much electricity each units uses to do the same amount of work. Saves you electrical cost per month if you research your Efficiency rating of each a/c unit.

You look like you have an a/c unit now behind your couch is seen through your patio door. Might want to check that.

The right of the window in the picture and the existing a/c unit both are facing a nearby wall cutting efficiency and ability to cool entire room area concerning air flow.

A window a/c should be installed on the sunrise side of your home to reduce afternoon heat the a/c unit would have to fight while in the sun.

Also a window a/c unit should be placed so that the air flow of that a/c unit has free air flow across the largest area desired to be cooled and possibly aimed through doorways if multiple rooms. Location is a high concern in your installation to get best efficient production of room comfort control and even ambient temperatures.

Do some research, looks like you have a/c no on opposite wall from your intended installation and most likely you will find a more open location for better air flow design other than blowing against a nearby wall.

Hope this helps

Wg
  #3   IP: 129.253.217.137
Old June 9th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the reply Wg,

I finished installing a new 14,500 BTU window unit last weekend. I think there was confusion as to where I was going to install it. I installed the unit to the right of the far upper window, replacing the dual fan in the picture. So it is not facing a nearby wall. It effectively cools the living room/dining room/kitchen/entry way/ and if one of the facing bedroom door is open, it will send some cool in there as well. Unfortunantly, this location puts it on a West wall so it does get some late afternoon sun. It is close to the eve and there are trees providing some shade.

The North side of the house receives less sun, so remains cooler than the South side, so no AC is really needed back there. I live in bay area, so it stays in the upper 80's most of the summer... and cools off at night.

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL119/...3/26996755.jpg

The 5000 BTU unit behind the couch, was too small and only cooled your feet, too low (was there when I bought the house). So I will be removing it soon, so I can put the couch closer to the wall.

To install the new unit, I ran conduit outside from the main breaker panel, to the outside wall. Brought in 2 separate 110Volt feeds, one for the AC, and one for my entertainment center. Currently had no ground wires for living room outlets.

I was surprised at the amount of effort in the design of the unit for low noise. There must have 15 additional parts. The unit slides in and out of a separate metal shell that you install first. The unit floats on foam and rubber inside the shell, not metal to metal contact. Copper tubing had rubber attached at different locations for noise damping.

Quite pleased with the install, and low cost. $349 for the AC unit, ~$50 for electrical install.

Central air would have been $3k+

SharpT