dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 129.255.98.200
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM

Default 15 amp outlets and 20 AMp breaker

Is this allowable. I am finishing my basement. I have a few packages of standard home 15 amp outlets, I am wondering if a 15 amp outlets are allowable to hook to a 20 amp circuit braker in the service panel. I plan on doing nothing more than plugging in veryday equipt to these. TV stereo etc. No shop tools, pumps, motors...etc. just plain ol outlets. I have a book that states that the outlets should be apropriate for the amperage of the circuit but doesn't specify what that means. The wiring is a 12/2 gauge. My upstairs was done by professional contractors and they hooked 15 amp outlets to 20 amp breakers but I still need to know. Thanks.
  #2   IP: 207.35.6.2
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:56 AM

Yes it is permissable to use 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit.
  #3   IP: 206.148.224.212
Old February 23rd, 2003, 10:22 PM

Only time you can't do that is if a single receptacle is on the circuit.

You're fine if you're using duplex receptacles.
  #4   IP: 66.222.103.18
Old February 23rd, 2003, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabin
Only time you can't do that is if a single receptacle is on the circuit.
Does this mean that if a single receptacle is anywhere on the circuit, the rest of the receptacles must have a matching amp rating?
  #5   IP: 148.78.243.122
Old February 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect you may have misunderstood what ssabin meant to say. A dedicated branch circuit with a single hole receptacle must be rated equal to the amp rating of that dedicated branch circuit.

If you have a branch circuit with multiple single hole receptacles in that branch circuit then you have a branch circuit where you could install 15 or 20 amp single receptacles in that 20 amp rated multioutlet branch circuit.

SSabin was referring to a dedicated circuit with a single outlet serving a dedicated load, not a multioutlet branch circuit. At least this is what I think he meant to say.

Also it is a Code violation to install 20 amp receptacle or receptacles whether single or duplex on a 15 amp 14 awg branch circuit.

Hope this helps

Wg
  #6   IP: 66.222.103.169
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Should have thought of "single" and "singleplex" meaning different things.

Let's see if I have this right .

If the circuit is dedicated (has only one outlet), the amps must match, period.

On a 20 amp circuit with multiple receptacles, I can mix and match 15 and 20 amp outlets, either singleplex or duplex, to my heart's content.

On a 15 amp circuit with multiple receptacles, I can use any combination of singleplex and duplex receptacles as long as they're designed for a 15 amp circuit.

How am I doing?
  #7   IP: 148.78.243.122
Old February 24th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

NEC 2002

210.21.B
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3),

The table say not to exceed 15 amp receptacles on a multioutlet branch circuit rated for 15 amps maximum wire or breaker size.

15 or 20 amp receptacles allowed on a multioutlet branch circuit rated for 20 amp maximum wire or breaker size.

The NEC does not care if single plug receptacle or duplex receptacle. The NEC only cares that a dedicated circuit with only one load or outlet must be a receptacle rated in amps equal to teh amp rating of that dedicated branch circuit serving only one utilization equipment.

Hope this helps

Wg