Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 129.186.32.105
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Post 220V 20A Plug 3 wire --> 220V 4 wire

PROBLEM:
Need to connect a 220V 20A Air Compressor to my 220V (4 wire) Dryer outlet...

BACKGROUND:
I have purchased:
- 4 wire (red/black/white/green), 220V dryer cord (NEMA 14-30)
- 3 wire, 200V 20A plug (NEMA 6-20 T-Slot)

NEMA 6-20 T-Slot

NEMA 14-30

QUESTION:
From what I have read around the net, I connect red and black wires to NEMA 6-20 T-Slot plug (and green to ground, don't use white)... Does it matter whether the black or the red wire are connected to the "T" part of the NEMA 6-20 T-Slot plug?

Thanks
  #2   IP: 69.245.194.96
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:55 PM

So basically you're making a "cheater cord" to fit into your existing dryer outlet, correct? It doesn't matter which hot terminals the red or black wires are connected to as long as the green wire goes to ground. Be sure to isolate the neutral at your cheater connection by cutting it off, taping it, whatever. Make sure that the terminals on your 20A plug are marked to accept 10 gauge stranded copper, or however your splicing the dryer cord into your 20A device be sure to use approved connections.
  #3   IP: 129.186.32.105
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Exactly. A four foot cheater/patch cord so I can plug the air compressor into the dryer's electrical outlet.

THANKS!
  #4   IP: 24.36.41.14
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Send a message via AIM to Homer
Exclamation This site only promotes code compliant wiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8shn
Exactly. A four foot cheater/patch cord so I can plug the air compressor into the dryer's electrical outlet.
By constructing such a device, you would be breaking a multitude of codes.

While this may not be the worst thing in the world to do, it is definitely illegal.

As members of this site we cannot advise others to break the codes.

If there is ever a fire or electrocution then you will be liable. I would say that any person giving illegal advice would share the liability for knowingly giving noncompliant advice.

Homer

Last edited by Homer : August 25th, 2005 at 06:46 PM.
  #5   IP: 69.245.194.96
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
I would say that any person giving illegal advice would share the liability for knowingly giving noncompliant advice.

Homer
What's the clear and easy-to-understand legal disclaimer for anyway? Look, he asked which wires go where. Better to make sure he constructs his illegal device the proper way than to go guessing. He's gonna make it anyway most likely, so why not make sure he at least connects the proper wires to the proper spot? But let's make EVERYONE happy here...the correct way would be to run the proper dedicated circuit back to the panel. Everyone should understand, that splicing together a dryer cord to a air compressor is not advisable. However, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS ANYWAY, PLEASE BE SURE YOU HOOK THE WIRES UP CORRECTLY.
  #6   IP: 24.36.41.14
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Send a message via AIM to Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricNut
What's the clear and easy-to-understand legal disclaimer for anyway?
This is a weasel clause to protect the site administrators and members. This disclaimer is both wise and necessary. It is not a license to give noncompliant advice.

There is a difference between mistakenly doing the wrong thing and knowingly doing the wrong thing.

Homer

Last edited by Homer : August 27th, 2005 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
  #7   IP: 66.59.122.84
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Guru'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricNut
However, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS ANYWAY, PLEASE BE SURE YOU HOOK THE WIRES UP CORRECTLY.
And, since people are going to drink and drive anyhow, here's a few helpful tips on driving drunk that might help you avoid the cops...