Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Building Codes - Residential
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Building Codes - Residential International Residential Code 2000 or 2003

#1   IP: 199.46.198.231
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Default nail gun nail sizes vs code nail sizes

When I look at my state's building code (massachusetts) and see nail sizes for given applications, the sizes sre specified by d size, no big surprise. So for example for a 2X4 stud to a bottom plate has (2) 16D required.

From looking at a chart a 16d nail is .162" diameter X 3.5" long

It appears that nails for nail guns aren't sized the same. From looking at available nail gun nails at Amazon (thinking of getting a Porter Cable FR350A full round head nailer) I see for galvanized 3.5" X .131" diameter. None of the nails are sized by d number and all of the nails of a given length are smaller in diameter. Heck I don't even see anything larger in diameter than .131". Also I don't see any nails 2.5" long (to correspond with a 8d nail). I see 2 and 3/8 and 3" long but not 2.5".

So my question is how does one relate nail gun nail sizes to conventional D nail sizes for the sake of complying with building code? Do I just pick a nail that is the same or greater length and the smaller diameter doesn't matter (doesn't seem right)?
  #2   IP: 66.142.47.170
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Here is a short forum equivalent from Texas

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/company/w...terp/3122.html

And here is a detailed code equivalence engineering report.

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/UBC/3540.pdf
  #3   IP: 67.80.246.87
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
When I look at my state's building code (massachusetts) and see nail sizes for given applications, the sizes sre specified by d size, no big surprise. So for example for a 2X4 stud to a bottom plate has (2) 16D required.

From looking at a chart a 16d nail is .162" diameter X 3.5" long

It appears that nails for nail guns aren't sized the same. From looking at available nail gun nails at Amazon (thinking of getting a Porter Cable FR350A full round head nailer) I see for galvanized 3.5" X .131" diameter. None of the nails are sized by d number and all of the nails of a given length are smaller in diameter. Heck I don't even see anything larger in diameter than .131". Also I don't see any nails 2.5" long (to correspond with a 8d nail). I see 2 and 3/8 and 3" long but not 2.5".

So my question is how does one relate nail gun nail sizes to conventional D nail sizes for the sake of complying with building code? Do I just pick a nail that is the same or greater length and the smaller diameter doesn't matter (doesn't seem right)?
You simply add a nail to compensate
  #4   IP: 115.119.84.108
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:32 AM

Done a great job, I have learned some things from this post.