Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 136.2.1.101
Old June 6th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Default Kenmore 665 Dishwasher

Hi I'm new, came here looking for help with my dishwasher. It has a touchpad that seems to be bad. Its a Kenmore (Whirlpool) 665-15819220 and is about 5 years old.
I've already checked doorswitch, thermal fuse, and replaced the electronic control unit.
The unit will not begin a cycle and the 'lock-on' 'water heat' lights flash.
The parts store said they have sold 177 electronic units and only 3 touchpads in the last year. So i bought the electronic unit but it still does the same thing.
Are these touchpads known for failure? Anything else to check before buying the touchpad?

Thanks for any info.
  #2   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Are these touchpads known for failure?
Yes!

Quote:
The unit will not begin a cycle and the 'lock-on' 'water heat' lights flash
Tried removing the power to the d/w and see if the control will reset? Should be a tech sheet inside the d/w for a "test mode" or more details on checking the key panal.

Quote:
665-15819220
Closest that would work for me was 665.15819990

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 136.1.1.101
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:37 AM

You are correct, the model is a 665-15812990, I had the last three #'s wrong.

I did shut the power off for a day, no luck.

I did get the tech brochure out. It doesn't get into details about the keypad other than to show it as an input to the electronic control unit. I did successfully jumper around the ECU/keypad right at the ECU connectors and got the fill solenoid, pump motor, detergent door solenoids, etc. to work. Resistance is OK on the thermostat and heater. It seems like the downstream circuits work but it isn't getting the right commands upfront from the ECU.

The unit does not seem to go into diagnostics mode as described in the tech brochure. I hit the key combo described, and the 'lock-on' and 'water heat' lights flash in unison, 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off. While these are off, the 'no heat' light comes on. I cannot advance through the cycles as described in the tech brochure.

Based on the above, I suspect the keypad has to be bad. Of course, that’s what I though about the ECU too…….
Any suggestions besides using a grenade and insurance before buying the keypad? Can the keypad be tested? Or should I just suck it up and buy one?

Thanks again for replies!
  #4   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Based on the above, I suspect the keypad has to be bad
Certainly appears to be bad

Quote:
Can the keypad be tested?
There are key board testers....but they often nearly cost as much as the key panal does. *Some* tech sheets will show ohm testing for the key panal, some do not.

Quote:
Or should I just suck it up and buy one?
Probably will have to.

Consol black

Consol white

Consol almond

Above compnay has a very liberal return policy, a copy..."Within 30 days of receiving your order, you may return any item in its original condition for a full refund of the purchase price."

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 136.2.1.153
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:15 AM

That was it!

I checked out that website that Jeff1 sent me and the place is close by. So I went and picked up the keypad, put it in, and it worked.

So I am one of the 3 out of 177 guys that needed the keypad, not the ECU.

Thanks so much for your help Jeff.1 I might have gotten it fixed myself but it's nice to have reassurance you're diagnosing the thing correctly and your tests have led you to a reasonable conclusion... especially when dealing with electronics.

I think I'll stick around these boards and try to help someone else, like you did for me. I have years of experience with Ford and GM powertrains so I should be able to help people on the auto board.
  #6   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So I went and picked up the keypad, put it in, and it worked.
Glad to hear that!

Quote:
I think I'll stick around these boards and try to help someone else
Glad to heat that!!

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #7   IP: 173.80.30.62
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

Unhappy Trouble with Kenmore Model 665.15862990

Hi,
I saw the thread you had on the Model 665 dishwasher.

I was hoping you could help direct me with which part to purchase.

When I turn on the dishwasher --- sometimes the keypad will light up -- other times it won't and there will be a dash across the number led display. It's totally unresponsive and won't do anything beyond this point. I suspect the control module -- but have seen several thread that point to faulty keypads. What do you suggest I purchase the control module or the keypad-- and where would you get them from. Do you have the part numbers handy?

Thanks in advance
  #8   IP: 72.12.147.181
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
A Whirlpool built Kenmore.
A tech sheet is linked here that I found online.

Quote:
sometimes the keypad will light up -- other times it won't and there will be a dash across the number led display. It's totally unresponsive and won't do anything beyond this point. I suspect the control module -- but have seen several thread that point to faulty keypads.
Sometimes it is a crap shoot ( no matter how much testing you do ) but we do see more key pad/panal problems than control problems.

Control panal white
Control panal black

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca