Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

#1   IP: 63.162.143.21
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Unregistered

Default Kenmore Series 80 washer

Hi,

We have a Kenmore Series 80 washer that is about 1yr old. After the load washes, the water will drain out but it won't spin. If you catch it while it is draining, you can open the lid and then shut it and the washer will then spin out. If you don't catch it, it will drain out the water and keep on running (and making lots of noise) even though there isn't any water in the drum. It will also leave lots of soap on your clothes because it hasn't spun out the wash water, just drained it out. The service tech from Sears claims that this is normal for the Series 80. Any ideas? Thanks!
  #2   IP: 63.162.143.21
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Sears Kenmore Series 80 washer

I'm sorry. The model # is 110 24872300. We got it Feb. of 2004.

Thanks!
  #3   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
After the load washes, the water will drain out but it won't spin. If you catch it while it is draining, you can open the lid and then shut it and the washer will then spin out.
2 common trouble makers....

Timer is missing the "pause" needed to allow the transmission to set up to spin, or the pause is there but the transmission is having trouble setting up to spin.

Washer normally predrains the water and the motor stops ( pauses ) and when the motor starts back up the washer will spin and drain then at the same time.

Quote:
It will also leave lots of soap on your clothes because it hasn't spun out the wash water, just drained it out. The service tech from Sears claims that this is normal for the Series 80.
1) 80 series is just a name.
2) No spin = no spray rinces...he/she is likely correct.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #4   IP: 68.145.12.140
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Kenmore 80 Series Washer

Mine is doing the same thing. From what I read does that mean either the timer is going or the transmission is gone out?

I hope not as machine is supposed to be heavy duty & only about 5 yrs old & do about 3/4 loads of wash per week.

Thanks

Michelle
  #5   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old March 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Kenmore 80 Series
Not a model#.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Quote:
Mine is doing the same thing
Exactly?

Quote:
After the load washes, the water will drain out but it won't spin. If you catch it while it is draining, you can open the lid and then shut it and the washer will then spin out.
Quote:
From what I read does that mean either the timer is going or the transmission is gone out?
Those are two common trouble makers for a specific not spinning trouble maker. But these -usually- will not cause a poor or slow spin out.

Quote:
machine is supposed to be heavy duty
Find a washer today without the words "Heavy Duty" on them!! They all still break from time to time.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #6   IP: 68.145.12.140
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Default Kenmore Washer won't spin out

Upon further investigation on the internet I have learned that direct drive washers like mine have a motor coupling that frequently just wears out. I took my machine apart from some greate instructions with pictures and(www.applianceaid.com) I found online & sure enough it had basically disintegrated which would explain the problem as it was slipping intermittently & just recently got really bad & just quit when I guess it finally just went.

Thank you for your input though.

Michelle
  #7   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere with it

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #8   IP: 63.172.247.5
Old March 24th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Unregistered

Default Kenmore 80 Series Leaking

I discovered last night that our Kenmore 80 Series washer is leaking. I assumed since it was less than three years old that it was a lose hose in the back, however, upon further inspection I determined the leak was coming from underneath the washer. As I have never worked on a washing machine what could be the possible causes for the leak? Where should I start? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
  #9   IP: 24.213.79.85
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Where should I start?
With the model#, cause "Kenmore 80 Series" that isn't it.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Quote:
what could be the possible causes for the leak?
Pump, fill valve, hoses, tub seals, cracked tub are common trouble makers...we may learn some more once we see what style/model you have.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #10   IP: 63.172.247.5
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

The model # is 110 23822100. Thank you!

John
Closed Thread