dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 68.100.70.210
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Default Kenmore Washer 90 Series Leaks

The Kenmore 90 Series washer in my house leaked recently during a wash cycle (not sure during which part of the cycle). Spent too much money getting a plumber out who suggested it might be a problem with a belt needing tightening. I do not understand much about washing machines, but it does not seem logical that tightening a belt would cause a leak to cease.

A plastic tray under in which the washer sits has water in it. In addition, there appears to be a drain pipe away from the plastic tray through the floor - could the leak be coming from there (the washer is on the top floor and leak was spotted as water dripping onto lower floor). What is the purpose of the tray and drain from the tray (we do not have such contraptions in the UK and I am at a loss)? The inlet hoses and outlet hose appear fine, and I believe the machine is relatively new (i.e. couple of years old).

Would be very grateful for any tips on ascertaining what is causing leak.

Model # 110.22902100

Thanks

Last edited by cecil buchanan : March 11th, 2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: update of model number
  #2   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
I do not understand much about washing machines, but it does not seem logical that tightening a belt would cause a leak to cease.
1) I agree with you.
2) Your washer does not have a belt.

Quote:
A plastic tray under in which the washer sits has water in it
Probably a leak catcher, many "upstairs" washers use a similier device...

Pan, for under washers Fits most standard, large, and extra-large washers. Optional floor drain connection included

Quote:
In addition, there appears to be a drain pipe away from the plastic tray through the floor - could the leak be coming from there (the washer is on the top floor and leak was spotted as water dripping onto lower floor).
The drain part of the pan can leak or the pan could be cracked....but, the washer is likely leaking first onto/into the pan.

Quote:
Model # 110.22902100
Direct drive style washer ( no belt ) built by Whirlpool for Sears.

WATER LEAKS FROM MACHINE: -Some- common trouble makers.
~Pump Leaking
~Drain Hose Cracked
~Stand Pipe For Washer Drain Backing up _ Fill tub to highest setting and run through spin cycle and see if the drain backs up.- If yes, call the plumber.
~Tub seal, support seals, basket drive seals leaking.
~Hole in plastic outer tub.
~Fill valve leaking

Take apart helps to have a peek...
http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html

Drain pump for belt-less direct-drive washer, one large port, one small port for Model # 110.22902100

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca