dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Small Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Small Engines Small Engine Repair such as chain saws, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, etc.

#1   IP: 108.105.236.154
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Default Craftsman chainsaw will start, then dies

It's a 42cc. It will start when very cold and run for 20-30 seconds. I've checked the muffler. I've checked spark. I've cleaned the carb(everything looked very clean, including the screen). It's a Walbro. I tightened the adjustment screws all in, then backed out 1-1/2 turns. If I try to give gas, it dies. The piston and cylinder looked good from what I could see when I had the muffler off. I'm at a loss. The carb was rebuilt last year and ran like a charm. The last time I used it I ran it dry for storage. It's new gas this time. What could the problem be?
  #2   IP: 173.35.172.18
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffula View Post
It's a 42cc. It will start when very cold and run for 20-30 seconds. I've checked the muffler. I've checked spark. I've cleaned the carb(everything looked very clean, including the screen). It's a Walbro. I tightened the adjustment screws all in, then backed out 1-1/2 turns. If I try to give gas, it dies. The piston and cylinder looked good from what I could see when I had the muffler off. I'm at a loss. The carb was rebuilt last year and ran like a charm. The last time I used it I ran it dry for storage. It's new gas this time. What could the problem be?
Hi Biffula, Sounds like a fuel issue still . Have you installed a carb kit?. The carb can be clean, but the diaphragms can still be dried out and not flexible. Just a thought.
Tom
Ontario, Canada.
  #3   IP: 198.164.98.29
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

There should be a small fuel filter down inside the tank, which is connected to your fuel supply line, sounds like its fuel starved. Not a big job, you will need somthing hooked to get it out. Hope this helps.
MJ
  #4   IP: 173.97.147.34
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Forgot to post originally, but I've checked the fuel lines, all in good shape. Fuel filter is new.

Here's the latest. I put a new carb kit in. It will start up and run full tilt, but as soon as I let off full throttle, it dies. I've tried adjusting the low idle to no avail.