Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Electrical Code - CANADIAN
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical Code - CANADIAN 2002 Version - Commercial or Residential for CANADA

#1   IP: 70.24.49.146
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Default Service Panel Height

I was doing a such and wondered what the height is for Canadian Electrical Code from ground up.

It is a new service/sub panel being installed and would like to know how height from the floor it needs to be. The Load conductors that someon install might be to short and it is a run or about 100'.

You can see why I am concerned about the panel install height

I can't seem to find this here at all.

Thanks Fly
  #2   IP: 24.150.115.93
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Send a message via AIM to Homer

CEC 26-402 Location of Panelboards

26-402 (2) Panelboards in dwelling units shall be installed as high as possible with no overcurrent device operating handle being more than 1.7m above the finished floor level.

Also be aware that 6-206 requires that there be at least 2m of headroom where the panelboard is installed.

Homer
  #3   IP: 70.24.49.146
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
CEC 26-402 Location of Panelboards

26-402 (2) Panelboards in dwelling units shall be installed as high as possible with no overcurrent device operating handle being more than 1.7m above the finished floor level.

Also be aware that 6-206 requires that there be at least 2m of headroom where the panelboard is installed.

Homer
Thanks for the quick reply Homer!

Does this mean that I can lower my 100amp federal Pioneer stablok panel lower thin the 5 fett I have now.

If I measure from the cement floor to the bottom of the panel is is about 2.5 feet. Can I make it lower

As for the head room! The ceiling height is 9' so the head room is fine.

My big conern is the lod conductors and installing them. If Ii lower the panel it will be about 3.5' rom the floor to bottom of panel.

Again thank you for all your help on this.

I do have an id/username here but can remeber my password at the moment and why I am listed as unreg.

Thanks,

Wan2Fly (My id)
  #4   IP: 24.150.115.93
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Send a message via AIM to Homer

The key words of 26-402 (2) are "as high as possible", so no you can't place the panel lower.

Also, the highest breaker space in the panel must be no more than 1.7m above the finished floor level.

So, rephrasing the code in plain english, you must place the panel as high as you can without letting the highest breaker space in the panel be more than 1.7m above the floor. That means that you basically need to line up the highest breaker space just below the 1.7m mark.

Homer
  #5   IP: 70.24.49.146
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
The key words of 26-402 (2) are "as high as possible", so no you can't place the panel lower.

Also, the highest breaker space in the panel must be no more than 1.7m above the finished floor level.

So, rephrasing the code in plain english, you must place the panel as high as you can without letting the highest breaker space in the panel be more than 1.7m above the floor. That means that you basically need to line up the highest breaker space just below the 1.7m mark.

Homer
Thanks again for clarifying this for me it helps alot. So I guess the 100amp breaker in the panel is the highest one and that one cannnot be more than 1.7m.

Thanks for making it easier for me to understand.

Cheers, Fly
  #6   IP: 23.16.124.51
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM

Default Panel hieght

I am a contractor from North Vancouver, Canada, The code here is 67 inches to the top breaker. The first thing the eletrical inspecter does here is get out the tape measure. If the panel is 1 inch too high or 1 inch too low he will make you move it. It has to be exactly 67. One time a panel was at 68 inhes. The inspector said too high, move it, down. I told him that there would be 1 inch hardwood going down so from hardwood to top breaker it would be 67 inches. He didnt care about the flooring, He still made me move it. The magic number is 67.
  #7   IP: 174.4.136.101
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhycha View Post
I am a contractor from North Vancouver, Canada, The code here is 67 inches to the top breaker. The first thing the eletrical inspecter does here is get out the tape measure. If the panel is 1 inch too high or 1 inch too low he will make you move it. It has to be exactly 67. One time a panel was at 68 inhes. The inspector said too high, move it, down. I told him that there would be 1 inch hardwood going down so from hardwood to top breaker it would be 67 inches. He didnt care about the flooring, He still made me move it. The magic number is 67.
Gee I thought the code has been metric for a couple cycles. the inspector should be carrying a metric tape