dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Small Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Small Engines Small Engine Repair such as chain saws, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, etc.

#1   IP: 98.88.222.111
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:48 AM

Default Weed eater will not run full throttle

My (new, el cheapo) weed eater starts OK amd runs OK provided I keep it partially choked. Despite lots of experience with these things, I went back and re-read the instructions, following them to the letter.

I do think I put too much cycle oil in the gas, though (couldn't see exactly how much gas was in my container).

Would this oil overdose cause the above condition?
  #2   IP: 184.91.43.72
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM

to much oil will smoke a lot and carbon up the exhaust port and or muffler. because you have to choke it partly you have issues with the fuel. if it were way to much oil it wouldnt run at all as the plug would be oil fouled.
  #3   IP: 209.77.230.16
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfisher45 View Post
My (new, el cheapo) weed eater starts OK amd runs OK provided I keep it partially choked. Despite lots of experience with these things, I went back and re-read the instructions, following them to the letter.

I do think I put too much cycle oil in the gas, though (couldn't see exactly how much gas was in my container).

Would this oil overdose cause the above condition?
Absolutely. Too much oil causes carbon build-up.

This will cause the fire screen in the muffler to clog up and reduce engine speed because the exhaust fumes cannot exit the engine efficiently.

Check the fire screen for carbon build up. You can "torch it" with a propane torch if it needs cleaning.

And please don't use your best needle nose pliers as the torch will de temper and discolor the metal.
  #4   IP: 98.88.222.111
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Default Thanks, Folks

Since it's a new trimmer, there's no carbon build-up, but the fuel/oil mixture was definitely wrong, causing the stalls at full throttle.
  #5   IP: 70.130.69.176
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfisher45 View Post
Since it's a new trimmer, there's no carbon build-up, but the fuel/oil mixture was definitely wrong, causing the stalls at full throttle.
over time it will carbon foul the fire screen. I get them too often not to mention it as a cause of not running at full throttle.
  #6   IP: 74.176.136.40
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

Default Same ol' stuff

The problem I have with the weedeater is exactly the same as I've had with another NEW product (NEW Poulan chain saw). They're both 2-cycle and both are set at the factory to run lean (will not hold idle).

You either run them both at half choke or hunt down an ilde screw adjuster to fix it.
  #7   IP: 184.91.75.218
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM

a stall at full throttle is not to much oil in the mix. you have a lean mix of air/fuel. if too much oil in the mix or too much fuel it will run wide open but not proper and may even bog down as it keeps running getting worse. a stall at wot usually means its running lean and a burnt piston and or rings with a cylinder to match. two stroke tuning is no secret and will make or break you.
  #8   IP: 50.136.96.180
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM

well I have had a different experience. I have had to rebuild the carbs on everything I own, bikes, saws, lawnmowers, etc. yes the screen can be clogged, but to me if you have to run it choke you aint getting enoug fuel, maybe too lean? or the carb needs to be cleaned due to this ethanol crap. just my 2cents