dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Plumbing - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Plumbing - Existing Home Plumbing repair / Remodeling Ideas and Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 68.81.3.33
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Question Water heater vent assist?

In preparation for new large bath tub I'm looking to replace my 40 gal gas water heater with the 75-gal kenmore model (33176). I have a venting concern as the upper edge of my vent pipe enters the Chimney at a height of 63". The heater is in basement (large unconfined room) 4.5 ft from 100-year old chimney. Specs state model 33176 has total height of 62.25" with diverter, tank height 59".

Does the "diverter" include an elbow? Concerned that I will be unable to get 1/4" rise per foot on the vent pipe leading to chimney. Ideas? Are there exhaust blowers available to assist in creating the draw out the chimney? Is there any 75-80 gal gas model available that is shorter? Will I need to buy two 40-gal and plumb them in series to get the vent elevation lower?
  #2   IP: 99.27.101.153
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM

Have you looked at the "on demand" gas water heaters? Just size it for the volume you need, pay a slight premium over a regular water heater, save money and and get an energy credit on your next tax return.
  #3   IP: 68.81.3.33
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:54 PM

Smile

Thank you for responding George6488.

I have not completed an exhaustive search of the tankless options but it seems that the demand/flow rate necessary to fill large tub is too high. I am installing the Kohler sok tub (K-1188 ) with a 142 gal demand. Incoming h20 is around 50 degrees (groundwater). Will not be using this tub everyday but will need a full tub of hot water, plus home includes 3 bathrooms and a couple teenage girls...BTW, my energy efficiency tax credit was already depleted with other insulation, windows, etc. purchases last year.

In addition to the 63" height for existing vent other design obstacles include 73" ceiling in the area of the heater (crawl/basement). Kohler specs call for water heater capacity 70% of tub capacity, so around 100 gal. Looking at power vent models and venting horizontally out wall but >50gal capacity models have max heights pushing or exceeding 73" when elbow is added to top of blower. Considering keeping the current 40 gal atmospheric venting unit that I have and placing a 50 gallon power vent unit next to it, venting the new tank via separate horizontal line - then piping supply water to the two in series.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks,