Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 74.65.130.153
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Default Amana Washer leaving clothes wet

We have an Amana top loader, Model NAV2330AWW. It's about 5-6 years old. It runs through all the cycles, but the clothes are wringing wet at the end. I checked the pump and discharge lines, they're okay, and the belt looks okay. I temporarily defeated the lid switch so I could watch it go through all it's cycles. During the first rinse the tub spun fast, and before it started filling again I stopped it and felt the clothes. They felt pretty dry. I let it continue, and on the final spin it didn't seem to be going as fast, and when it was finished the clothes were wet. Does this point to the timer switch being at fault? My wife says we should just replace the washer, but I've taken it as a challenge and would like to fix it myself. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
  #2   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
I let it continue, and on the final spin it didn't seem to be going as fast, and when it was finished the clothes were wet.
The water drained out ok? If yes, the timer is telling the motor to reverse and run in the drain spin direction and it is likely ok. If the draining is slow the clothes could come out wet, if the belt is cracked or streatched the clothes could come out wet. If the motor is not running through the entire spin/drain mode the timer could be at fault.

A copy:

Will Not Spin
Check for unbalanced load.
Check for broken or slipping belt.
Does the house drain system accept water from
machine?
Check for blocked drain hose.
Check for binding tub seal.
Check for partial engagement of brake assembly.
Check for obstruction between tubs.
Check for broken impeller on pump.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 74.65.130.153
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Thank you for your reply, Jeff. The water appears to be pumping out and draining okay. I took the drain hose and put it in the laundry tub so I could watch the water come out. I also took the pump off and checked it, and blew out the drain hose with compressed air, and replaced the belt. Is the motor a two speed motor, and is it the job of the timer switch to tell it which speed to run? I suspect the drum is not turning as fast on the final spin as it does on the first rinse. Is that possible?
  #4   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is the motor a two speed motor
Yes.
Check settings on the consol.

Quote:
and is it the job of the timer switch to tell it which speed to run?
Yes.

Quote:
I suspect the drum is not turning as fast on the final spin as it does on the first rinse. Is that possible?
Possible, yes....not overly common.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Might be a good test...when the final spin is bad/slow...wipe the timer back around to the rince spin to see what happens....still bad, better, same, etc.

jeff.
  #6   IP: 74.65.130.153
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, Jeff. As a matter of fact, I did that on that trial run that I was observing, and that spun the clothes out dry. That's why I suspect the timer switch. When I opened up the control panel to look at the switch, the wiring schematic paper was in there, and I had hopes of testing the timer switch with a multi-tester, but I'm not smart enough to equate the chart to the actual terminals on the switch. That was a disappointment, because I bet that would answer the question as to whether the switch is at fault. I'd hate to add the switch to the belt that I've replaced and still be wrong. My wife reminds me that it has worked hard for years and she would vote for just replacing the washer. What do you think? (Toss a coin?)
  #7   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My wife reminds me that it has worked hard for years and she would vote for just replacing the washer. What do you think? (Toss a coin?)
5-8 years seems to be the life expectancy now-a-days.....and if Mama isn't happy, nobody is happy!

jeff.
  #8   IP: 74.65.130.153
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Well, whichever way we go, it's been a learning experience troubleshooting the washer. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!
  #9   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Best of luck with it, your welcome!

jeff.
  #10   IP: 74.65.130.153
Old January 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I couldn't resist trying some more to figure out what's wrong with this washer, which brings up some more questions. I ran another load of clothes and watched it again with the lid up. It seemed to do everything right, but the clothes were not as dry as they should be. On a hunch, I ran the spin cycle again, and applied pressure to the side of the spinning tub, and was able to stop it. I got my wife to watch the belt from below as I did it again, and the belt was turning the tub pulley normally, not slipping. Should you be able to stop the tub like that? I wasn't sure what it meant, but it seemed like that slippage could account for the clothes not being spun dry enough, so I decided to dig farther. I have taken off everything down to and including the outer tub and now I'm stumped. Is there some mechanism between the tub pulley below and the splined shaft sticking up above that is slipping, and would I be able to fix it? Thanks for any thoughts you might have on my plight!