dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 98.203.253.139
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Default Hot Tub and GFI instantly tripping

ive been reading over the forums and google for my problem. It seems alot have it. so heres the deal
50 amp double pull at the panel - 240v
to
60 amp gfci breaker
to
Hot tub input

Everything is correct on the gfci -- netural load goes to the breaker and the pigtail then goes to the netural bar that the panel side comes into.

its clearly labled in the hot tub where to put what. when i have the transformer that takes 120v down to 12 and 24v and 5v the gfci doesn't trip instantly. but if i have that connected it instantly trips.

So being the somewhat genious i am not i decided to just buy a new transformer thinking that was the issue ( was ohming out the transformer to get a +1.03 between ground and the 120.)
I instaled the new one i just got in the mail. and low and behold problem is still there.

so i just pulled the board and inspected everything .. nothing seems burnt or corroded and the 120v black goes to a fuse that then transfers power to the 3rd pin of the 7 pin connector to this transformer. i have 120v on this pin ( verified ) but can't troubleshoot past this point with no power.

(ps) i have unplugged everything from this board and as long as that transformer is plugged in it instantly trips.

any ideas?
  #2   IP: 207.35.6.2
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

You should not have a connection between 120 and ground. You will trip GFCI every time. The primary(120) side should have two leads that connect to hot and neutral not hot and ground.

Last edited by joed : November 4th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
  #3   IP: 130.76.32.208
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

You can TEMPORARILY replace the GFCI breaker with the same brand non-GFCI in order to troubleshoot. But be carefuly, as you may have some energized metal whcih can really shock you when crawling around damp under a hot tub. If the transformer core is leaking to ground, that will trip it. As joed said, if either of the primary wires is directly connected to ground, that will trip it.

Somewhere, you most likely have something going to ground that should really be going to neutral. If you have 1 ohm between either transformer primary wire and the chassis ground, find that connection.

If by ground you mean a signal reference ground, that may in fact really be neutral. But that neutral needs to be isolated from the chassis metal and bonding wires or else teh GFCI will trip.