Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Building Construction - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Building Construction - Existing Home Building Construction Repair / Remodeling Ideas and Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 64.231.156.146
Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Default What's the cheapest exterior siding out there?

The two sides of my workshed that face my house have vinyl siding, the other two sides are plain plywood. I'd like to protect the plywood from the elements, and possibly provide some draft barrier (there are about 6 full size panels with some gaps between them).

Esthetics is not a major concern since I can't see these walls (too bad for the neighbors, haha).
A friend sugested to just paint it. I would do that, but I don't want to be painting it every year or two.
I was thinking of using shingles. Are they practical on vertical surfaces?
Someone else said just use tar paper and nothing else.
I think vinyl siding would be too expensive.

Any ideas?
  #2   IP: 64.231.138.53
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Or should I staple garbage bags to the wall?

Anyone?
________
Ford F-4Eat Transmission Picture

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 04:34 AM.
  #3   IP: 151.205.241.130
Old November 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Guru'

I live quite a bit off the beaten path. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but tar paper is a somewhat typical covering for small outbuildings around me. The tar paper does have to be redone every few years. The other would be T-111 (Texture 111) siding, which looks just like plywood with grooves routed into it so that it simulates old board and batton barn siding. This siding is cheap, and just gets painted or stained. There are wall shingles (called sidewall shingles) that were a popular choice for another generation. They were manufactured to simulate bricks, and lasted 20 -30 years. They are special order nowadays, and you wouldn't have very good luck with regular roof shingles. Vinyl siding is just about as cheap of an option as you can get now. Have you checked it out? You don't have to buy whole cases of the stuff at the home center, and you should be able to do a shed for peanuts.
  #4   IP: 64.231.138.53
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk
I live quite a bit off the beaten path. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but tar paper is a somewhat typical covering for small outbuildings around me. The tar paper does have to be redone every few years. The other would be T-111 (Texture 111) siding, which looks just like plywood with grooves routed into it so that it simulates old board and batton barn siding. This siding is cheap, and just gets painted or stained. There are wall shingles (called sidewall shingles) that were a popular choice for another generation. They were manufactured to simulate bricks, and lasted 20 -30 years. They are special order nowadays, and you wouldn't have very good luck with regular roof shingles. Vinyl siding is just about as cheap of an option as you can get now. Have you checked it out? You don't have to buy whole cases of the stuff at the home center, and you should be able to do a shed for peanuts.
I never heard of T-111, I'll look for it around here and price it out. That would be perfect to use.

I know the vinyl siding I priced isn't cheap but maybe I was looking at the better qualities. I only looked at HD, and they did sell it by the case/box ,but I didn't ask if they sell individual pieces.

And while I'm at it I'll also price out the tar paper and garbage bags
  #5   IP: 66.59.120.234
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Sure. You might remember that Ted Kazinski (the "Unibomber") lived in a tar paper shack for years. I don't think that his dwelling was subject to current building codes.
  #6   IP: 64.231.138.53
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:33 PM

I didn't knowthat, but I guess we think alike: why use the expensive stuff if your "house" can blow up at any time?

(Am I giving away my confidence level in my electrical wiring?)

________
Ford Popular Picture

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
  #7   IP: 66.59.120.234
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Here's a pic of what I proposed. It does get installed vertically (like the picture) and not horizontally.
  #8   IP: 64.231.138.53
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the picture! Now all I need to do is print it a few hundred times and staple them up. And I'm all set!

I'll look for it tomorrow on my weekly home depot visit.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
  #9   IP: 148.78.243.121
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Guido you last post sound like a patent to be pending candidate. Lets see pictures of siding stapled on building as siding. That should be inexpensive. Wonder if it will ward off the hard weather like the piggy with stone house or blow away in the wind like piggy with straw house.

You May be the next Multibillionaire if you keep thinking !! Ha Ha

Just having some fun.

Wg
  #10   IP: 64.231.138.53
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:33 AM

I think I'm going to go full out and print some pages of real stone siding!!! Only the best for me!!!

I didn't get a chance to search HD for T-111. I ran in there to buy conduit and wire and rushed home to install it before it got too dark. It's interesting running through the store with 10' lengths of conduit. People really jump out of your way when they see you coming!
________
Vapir Oxygen

Last edited by Guido : February 25th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.