Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   IP:
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
jts jts is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Default wire size for air conditioner

I want to replace the wiring to a disconnect for an A/C Compressor.

The plate on the compressor

Unit Supply voltage: 208/230 - 1 - 60
Minumun Circuit Ampacity: 25.2
Maximum Fuse or HACR Breaker: 40

1. What size wire should I use
2. Does the Disconnect need to be fusible and if so is 40 amps too much
3. What size breaker.

right now a portion of the wire is 10/2 and the breaker is a 30 amp.
I believe 10/2 is probably on the low side, can you please advice - thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2   IP:
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
mdshunk's Avatar
mdshunk mdshunk is offline
Senior Member 'Self Help Guru'
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,199

Since it says the minimum circuit ampacity is 25.2, you need a cable that will handle at least 25.2 amps. For this, #10 gauge is what you need so you're in fine shape there.

Since it says that the maximum fuse or breaker size is 40 amps, then you may install either a 30 or 40 amp breaker. Normally, you'd only use a 30 amp breaker max for #10 gauge wire. Air conditioning equipment is one of the special exceptions in the code. Since you already have a 30 amp breaker installed, the a/c may run just fine. If you get some "nuisance tripping" of that 30 amp breaker, I would install a 40 amp breaker in the panel for sure trouble-free operation. OR... you can just swap out the 30 amp breaker for a 40 amp breaker right away. Your choice... no special hazard either way.

No, the disconnect does not need to be fused. You may use a fused disconnect if you want to, but this would be redundant, since the overcurrent protection will be provided by the breaker in the panel. You can just use an ordinary weatherproof (nonfused) disconnect. These are really cheap (compared with the fused variety) and come in 30, 60, and 100 amp sizes. You may use a 30 amp size, but the 60 amp size is often more readily available and will be fine. Just a little more heavy duty.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences in "Old" & "New"14/2 WG Wire Size? aggiehobbie Electrical Code - USA 8 December 30th, 2010 12:56 PM
What size wire gnarly Electrical Code - CANADIAN 7 May 1st, 2009 10:27 PM
150' run to pool pump from house, what size wire? fg4432 Electrical Code - USA 1 March 30th, 2006 02:52 PM
Question about wiring a 50A welder *Schwack Electrical - Existing Home 0 December 12th, 2003 12:15 PM
Wire size for running 220ft to pollbarn? sparkslarry Electrical - Existing Home 3 July 25th, 2003 08:32 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© QuinStreet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.