Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Environment > Septic Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Septic Systems Design procedures and repairs

#1   IP: 209.252.123.250
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Angry septic/leech bed problems

I own a older home (1957) with a septic tank and leech bed (or what-ever) a couple years ago my vent pipe disappeared and I thought the neighbor-kits were messing around and swiped it. So being that I know nothing about these systems I made a pvc one and shoved it down the hole, only to find a few years later that run-off water was rising up the hole, so I took the pvc vent out and pumped the tube-hole out only to fing the old vent-tube actually fell in and blocked the hole. My questions are as follows: if the leech bed isn`t vented, will it over-fill. And has anyone heard of this happening, thanks Mike
  #2   IP: 130.76.32.181
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

In general, septic tanks and fields are not vented. Where exactly did this pipe connect, and are you sure of all its functions? If it was part of an output tee, having that fall into the tank would be bad as that acts as a baffle on the output preventing floating scum from getting out to your drainfield.

Your house plumbing should vent your septic tank unless the tank has sunk and water is completely blocking the pipe. Fields can have inspection ports, but the earth must be porous enough that it doesn't require venting.

If you know nothing about these systems, you should call someone who does unless you want to replace it in a few years.
  #3   IP: 209.252.123.250
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Default Ill Explain A Little Better

The vent tube is not near the septic tank it is venting the run-off area (leech-bed or whatever) which is filling w/ run-off water 20yards out on the front lawn. Are those leech beds concrete tanks, from what I can see down in the hole looks like it is. thanks Mike
  #4   IP: 76.104.169.198
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Leach fields are usually perforated pipe in a 3' wide gravel bed. Newer systems use plastic half circles with a bunch of perforations in their side and the bottom is open.

A field filling up with water can be a sign that the field is reaching the end of its life. However, since they've poked holes in it to vent it, a broken vent pipe could have allowed debris to block that leg of the field too. I've never seen a field vent, but if all your neighbors have them, perhaps they are required in your area.

You could dig up the field in that area to see how the pipes look and check for blockages.
  #5   IP: 204.112.178.195
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Default leech bed

Poking holes in a leech field is a bad idea. Its that saying water flows towards the path of least resistance. Its possible the bed is past its life expectancy, but I would still consult a septic contractor. Could be that the check valve on the pump in the basement is faulty. You can tell by lifting the lid on the sewer tank and checking the sewer drain pipe. If its constantly draining water and never stops the check valve needs replacing. Never seen a vent for a leech field, sounds like someone tried popping a balloon with a stick rather than a pin.