dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

#1   IP: 98.166.149.16
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Default Refrigerator Water Flow Verrrry Slow...

Hello.

I have a 2 year old Maytag Performa Refrigerator (Model Number MSD2651KES) and here is my story:

Recently the water in my water dispenser started to slow down a little bit. This normally means it is time to replace my water filter. I bought a new filter (whirlpool brand) and installed it. When I first used the water dispenser I got a horrible sound (kind of like a jack hammer/vibration) and little water flow (less than the old filter). I disconnected it and put the bypass cap on and everything worked great. I figured that I had a bad filter. I took back the Whirlpool filter and went to another store and bought a Maytag filter, but when I got home and installed this one the same thing happened. A friend recommended that I soak the new filter in water. I did this and it eliminated the noise, but the water flow is still bad. What should I do next? Thanks for any help you can offer…
  #2   IP: 72.12.147.181
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
put the bypass cap on and everything worked great
Since it worked ok the shut off valve, lines and fill valves -should- be ok....maybe air in the lines from changing out the filter....let the water keep flowing a while ( several large cups ) to see if the air will purge out.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 98.166.149.16
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
Hi,

Since it worked ok the shut off valve, lines and fill valves -should- be ok....maybe air in the lines from changing out the filter....let the water keep flowing a while ( several large cups ) to see if the air will purge out.

jeff.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I sat at the refrigerator filling up a cup for about 5 minutes and had no change in the water flow (that was about how long it took to fill the cup up one time). I did notice when I first started filling the cup up the water shot out quickly (like it should do), but then almost immediately went back to a trickle. Is there something else I could check? Thanks!!!
  #4   IP: 72.12.147.181
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
put the bypass cap on and everything worked great
No other work has been done on the refrigerator?
Got the correct filter?

UKF8001 WATER FILTER

Since it works ok without the filter....can't think of anything else besides the filter/filter base that could be the problem.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 98.166.149.16
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
No other work has been done on the refrigerator?
Got the correct filter?

UKF8001 WATER FILTER

Since it works ok without the filter....can't think of anything else besides the filter/filter base that could be the problem.

jeff.
No work has ever been done on this refrigerator. This is the first problem that I have had with it. The picture is the exact filter that I have (UKF8001) installed.

Is the filter/filter base the part that the filter screws on to? Are they hard to replace.

Another think that I noticed was that the ice dispenser seems to get water fine ( I don't have small cubes). Does the ice dispenser get filtered water?

THANK YOU for all of your help!!!!!
  #6   IP: 72.12.147.181
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is the filter/filter base the part that the filter screws on to? Are they hard to replace
Yes.
Nope.

Head- water filter

Quote:
Another think that I noticed was that the ice dispenser seems to get water fine ( I don't have small cubes). Does the ice dispenser get filtered water?
Icemaker, ice dispensor just pulls the cubes through the door.

Quote:
Does the ice dispenser get filtered water?
Everything should go through the filter first...then to the fill valve where it is split up between the icemaker and chilled water.

Since the water works ok with the bypass in, the fill valve(s) -should- be ok...in theory.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #7   IP: 98.166.146.146
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:56 PM

You are so awsome!!!! I replaced the Water Filter Head and everything works great now. Installation was very easy. Thank you so much for all of your help...
  #8   IP: 72.12.147.181
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you got somewhere with it
Thankx for the update!

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #9   IP: 69.174.113.20
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Default Similar Problem

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=18901

I have a similar problem with a Maytag refrigerator to the case I copied and pasted above. My model is MFI2568AES. My filter looks to be the same and has the same mount. The water filter is mounted in the ceiling of the frig. The base is diificult to see. I did not understand your solution. I dont think that I have access to replace anything. I have checked the water pressure and flow from the wall to the frig and it is OK. One thing I noticed is that if I remove the filter and turn the water supply on I get a very low flow that sprays all over. Not a steady stream like I would have thought. Can you walk me through the previous solution? Were you guessing that the base is plugged?
  #10   IP: 24.102.8.77
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
I have a similar problem with a Maytag refrigerator
Which is?

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that if I remove the filter and turn the water supply on I get a very low flow that sprays all over. Not a steady stream like I would have thought.
With the filter removed, I am surprized you get any water flow.

Quote:
I did not understand your solution. I dont think that I have access to replace anything
Yours is different than the OP's was...

Water tank and head assembly

...more of an process of elimination. Water been checked to the refrigerator? Fill valves been checked?

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
Closed Thread