dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Electrical Code - USA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical Code - USA Commercial or Residential 1999 / 2002 / 2005 versions - for UNITED STATES

#1   IP: 65.203.178.1
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Default Maximum number of breakers in a switchboard

I have been told that if I have more than six breakers or disconnects in a switchboard that I need a main breaker. The switchboard is 575 volts, 2000 amp bus. A main breaker would increase my cost significantly. 230.71 mentions the max number of disconnects but it doesn't say I need a main breaker.

Can anyone offer me some help?
  #2   IP: 75.207.28.126
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

The answer to the question word for word as you asked it is yes and no. Reason for this is conditions you did not mention. If this panel is a main service rated panel in a main structure with no previous overcurrent device aka breaker or fuse then the 6 disconnect rule applies. Each breaker in that panel would be considered as a mian service rated disconnect with 6 being the maximum you can have. The above statement for example would be a panel fed directly from a service company meterbase and not prior fuse or breaker. A second example of this being a yes answer would be if you are feeding a detached accessory structure from a main structure. The fuse or breaker installed in that accessory detached structure where the feeder entered would have a maximum of 6 disconnect rules including the number of breakers in a main lug only panel without a main breaker.

If the question you asked is concerning a panel that is a slave from a main service rated panel in the same building as that main service rated panel the answer would be no a main would not be required and the 6 disconnect rule would not apply. This is because there is a fuse or breaker in the same building that can be used as the main form of disconnect and this panel being a slave of the main panel would be a subpanel thus not being a main service rated panel. If your panel is a slave of a main service rated panel being a sub panel of that main panel then there would be no limit.

Even though breakers in a panel are circuit breakers if there is no other means of shutting off that panel then the 6 disconnect rule would apply. Sub panels have a breaker in a panel feeding power to that subpanel that will shut of that entire subpanel then the 6 disconnect rule does not apply.

They often call the 6 disconnect rule in other words maximum of 6 sweeps of the hand to shut down power coming from that panel.

Hope this helps

Wg
  #3   IP: 209.91.54.95
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
First Class Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kluesner View Post
I have been told that if I have more than six breakers or disconnects in a switchboard that I need a main breaker. The switchboard is 575 volts, 2000 amp bus. A main breaker would increase my cost significantly. 230.71 mentions the max number of disconnects but it doesn't say I need a main breaker.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Need more information.

To add:
For services, If we look at 230.71(A), you will find that it presents that no more than 6 handles shall disconnect a service from the structure being served.

Yet, for a detached building--being fed from another. You should look at Part 2 of NEC 225 . (Special attention to 225.36)
  #4   IP: 65.203.178.1
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:36 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. This switchboard is being fed by five generator strings, the 6th breaker is for a capacitor bank. I hope this is enough information.
  #5   IP: 75.205.55.133
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Now you caused much more confusion and lack of info needed. What do you mean by 5 generator leads. Are you saying you have hooked five generators to five different breakers to feed this panel ? What is the capacitor connection used for ?

Wg
  #6   IP: 72.38.178.108
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds way beyond DIY which this site is for. Sounds like you have 6 generators powering a site with a capacitor bank for power factor correction.
  #7   IP: 96.50.79.109
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM

It was way beyond DIY when he mentioned 575 volts and 2000 amps....
  #8   IP: 71.174.88.209
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

What I can't have 2,000a residential service ?

I have a big Christmas display !!

Last edited by scuba_dave : November 25th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
  #9   IP: 209.91.54.95
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
First Class Moderator

I agree, if the OP is not a Licensed Electrician (Contractor). Yet, if the OP an electrical professional, then we are here to help.
  #10   IP: 64.83.217.86
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master'

I thought this site was for professionals and DIY'ers alike. Heck we even have a Commercial / industrial section.