Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Environment > Septic Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Septic Systems Design procedures and repairs

#1   IP: 65.248.151.250
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Default Septic pumped out, now a smell in bathroom

New to this forum. Had the septic system pumped out a couple of months ago and have been battling a odor problem ever since in one bathroom. It is on the 1st floor and probably the closest connection to the septic system or at least the last drain to connect to the main drain out of the house. There is a terrible smell (Methane gas?) in the bathroom. Especially if the door is closed for any period of time. I thought it was something in the sink drain and took that all apart, cleaned the gunk that was in the pipe (not clogged). I currently have taken the toilet out and stuffed a rag into the drain and still have the smell in the bathroom. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions of what to do next? Thanks to all who reply
  #2   IP: 207.35.6.2
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a window in the bathroom? Is the tank vent near the window? I don't se how pumping the tank could have created this problem. Possibly a cracked or broken pipe?
  #3   IP: 65.248.151.250
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM

No window in the bathroom. I checked the pipes where they go through the floor into the basement and did not see any leaks nor was there any smell by the pipes in the basement. I did install a low flow toilet in that bathroom over a year ago and have not had any problems until the septic was pumped out. One thing to note though is that the prior owner had put in a subfloor and quarry tile and must have used a couple of wax rings to seal it. Since the toilet flange was below floor level I purchased a couple of more flanges and stacked them to get the flange to a proper height. Since I have the toilet out I'm going to reseal those flanges with rubber gaskets. When I installed them I used silicon to seal it but again had no problems for a long period of time.

The smell seemed to start about 2 or 3 weeks after having the septic pumped out. I'm guessing when the tank filled with liquid.

There are no wet spots in the yard nor smell out there either.
  #4   IP: 71.181.59.7
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I have had this exact same problem with the sewer smell after septic gets pumped. The first time, it took several months to go away. Am currently dealing with it again. Uhg!
  #5   IP: 75.75.170.226
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
homebild

Default Bad Closet Seal

Quote:
"One thing to note though is that the prior owner had put in a subfloor and quarry tile and must have used a couple of wax rings to seal it. Since the toilet flange was below floor level I purchased a couple of more flanges and stacked them to get the flange to a proper height. "
This is likley your problem.

You do not have a good seal for your water closet and it is allowing sewer gas to enter the home.

Try Fernco's or FluidMaster's Wax free toilet gaskets....

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/whats_new_060101.html

PS: Neither will work in every instance....

Last edited by homebild : October 18th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
  #6   IP: 24.72.166.10
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM

yeah, I have been battling septic tank problems. This happened to me also. I changed the wax seal ring and it fixed the problem. EZ fix. The wax ring will only cost a couple of bucks.