Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Small Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Small Engines Small Engine Repair such as chain saws, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, etc.

#1   IP: 68.38.134.94
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Default Changing oil in my pressure washer

Can anyone tell me where I can down load instructions on how to change the oil in a Troy Bilt pressure washer model 020296. The operator manual says nothing. Troy -Bilt won't help saying the model is produced by another company using the Troy-Bilt name. It has a Honda engine but they won't help me either. I'd settle for knowing how much oil it takes. What a crazy problem.
  #2   IP: 142.167.6.131
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Which Oil? Engine or Pressure head? what size engine?
I can't beleive Honda would'nt answer such a simple question.
Mike
  #3   IP: 68.38.134.94
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Default oil in pressure washer

the engine oil, I could not even get a live person at the Honda phone numbers.
  #4   IP: 209.77.229.12
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

The problem with Honda helping with an "after-market" product that has a Honda General Purpose engine on it is this: Honda takes responsability for the engine only. The engine is the Honda Product, not the attatched accessory.

Many People, many people assume that because the "name-brand" product has a Honda engine on it, it is a Honda product.

I hear this ALL the time.

For help with your "troy-bilt" pressure washer is to go to troy-bilt and get the information on the "troy-bilt" portion of your equipment. If it is another company using the troy-bilt name, you need to contact that company for information.

For help with the engine, any Honda powered product dealer, I am sure would be more than happy to help you.

As far as problems with manufacturers using names, the most recent fiasco I personally experienced is a "Homelite" generator with a Honda engine on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Homelite-HG600.../dp/B00125MF0U
This is not a homelite product. But it has a homelite name. It has a Honda engine on it. But it is NOT CARB COMPLIANT. It is distributed from an outfit in Arizona.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6289538/Ho...6000-Generator

Honda has their own line of powered products.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/

Putting a Honda Accord engine in your Toyota does not make your Toyota a Honda Accord any more than putting a Honda General Purpose Engine on a Troy-bilt tiller make your Troy-bilt tiller a Honda Tiller.

Now that I have tried to explain the difference in Manufactureres, please tell me who really makes your pressure washer, or provide pictures and model information so I can attempt to get you some service information.
  #5   IP: 209.77.229.12
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM

http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts...lacement-parts

Here is a link I found for the Model Number you provided.
There is an 800 number and a link for tech support listed here, too.
I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesupra View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can down load instructions on how to change the oil in a Troy Bilt pressure washer model 020296. The operator manual says nothing. Troy -Bilt won't help saying the model is produced by another company using the Troy-Bilt name. It has a Honda engine but they won't help me either. I'd settle for knowing how much oil it takes. What a crazy problem.
  #6   IP: 68.38.134.94
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Default Troy bilt pressure washer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did send an e mail to the troy bilt web site last week, with no success. The response was Troy- Bilt pressure washers are not manufactured or supported by Troy-Bilt LLC or MTD products. They referred me to Generac who actually makes the unit. When I called them with the supplied phone number as soon as they heard it was a Troy Bilt with a Honda engine they said I must talk to Honda who has been no help. Thank God I don't actually have a problem withy the unit. I only want to change the damn oil. Only in America. You buy a Troy-Bilt, figure you are upgrading from the Briggs and Stratton engine to the Honda engine. I got three company names and not one can help me with it.
  #7   IP: 71.139.246.134
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM

http://www.arnorthamerica.com/manuals/rmw-om%201006.pdf

this is the closest model to the one you have described.

Again, Honda will only help you with the engine as the pump is not made or supported by Honda.

THe pump looks like something from BE Pressure Supply.
http://bep.dreamhosters.com/

These people will only refer you to an active dealer. Dealers are particular about helping only those who bought a unit from their establishment as there is not much markup on these products.

Who wants to pay $60-$90 per hour to have their unit serviced? And that depends on the shop labor rate.

Hope this helps.
  #8   IP: 71.139.246.134
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Default Change the OIL IN MY ENGINE on my pressure washer

TITLEil in pressure washer
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesupra View Post
the engine oil, I could not even get a live person at the Honda phone numbers.
Sorry for the misunderstanding joe.
It seems that the whole of the thread I spent getting you information on the pressure washer pump was a waste. I had thought by the title of the thread, (Changing oil in my pressure washer), you had wanted information on the pressure washer part of the unit. Had I known you were really after the engine information I would have posted that sooner.

The GCV135/160 engines use 10W30 enigne oil. IT takes about 18-19 ounces of oil. There are 2 ways to drain the oil out of the engine. You can remove the dip stick and tilt it to drain the oil out of the dip stick or,
theremay be a drain bolt on the base that you can remove to drain the oil.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/992.pdf
Page 3-2 is what you want to look at.
  #9   IP: 68.199.25.137
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to teejk
Default oil change

I just dumped the oil out of my PorterCable pressure washer. Honda supplies the engine, the outfit Porter lends the name to constructs it. I'm amazed at the lack of engineering (on what cost me $800+ a few years ago) when it comes to changing oil. I had the choice of taking the left wheel off in the hopes of improving the angle or simply doing the "tilt" and letting it go where it wanted to, including but not limited to the tire and garage floor. I chose the latter figuring the result would be the same anyway and what's a little more oil-dry? I'll certainly watch for this the next time I buy one of these. It would not be hard to improve the design.
  #10   IP: 68.38.134.94
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Default Oil in pressure washer

Wannabee thank you for the link to the Honda download. I never would have found it and I thought I could find anything with google on the net. How did you know it would be applicable to my unit? I thought the type of oil the engine used was similar to what I put in my Toro snow blower. Thanks again.