Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 66.130.85.171
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Default combination switch/receptacle wiring

Can someone provide me with a diagram or explanation on how to wire a combination plug switch outlet. I am taking an existing double receptacle outlet on the outside wall of my house (the one with the reset button and plastic cover) and want to run a wire to the shed about 15' away. I would like to this wire to power a Leviton combinations switch /receptacle cat# 5225. I used a 14 gage copper conduit, black, white and ground, which I connected to the existing outlet – black to black, white to white and ground to ground. Now, on the other and I would like to be able to install a light bulb and be able to plug a hand tool like a drill or a saw. How do I wire this switch? Do I need more wires? I think I am over my head…
Would appreciate some help.

Thank You.

Michael
  #2   IP: 66.130.85.171
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Default combination switch/receptacle wiring

Can someone provide me with a diagram or explanation on how to wire a combination plug switch outlet. I am taking an existing double receptacle outlet on the outside wall of my house (the one with the reset button and plastic cover) and want to run a wire to the shed about 15' away. I would like to this wire to power a Leviton combinations switch /receptacle cat# 5225. I used a 14 gage copper conduit, black, white and ground, which I connected to the existing outlet – black to black, white to white and ground to ground. Now, on the other and I would like to be able to install a light bulb and be able to plug a hand tool like a drill or a saw. How do I wire this switch? Do I need more wires? I think I am over my head…
Would appreciate some help.

Thank You.

Michael
  #3   IP: 76.22.81.239
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

First, wrong section.

Moved your post to here: http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=17654
  #4   IP: 76.22.81.239
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post a wiring diagram of the switch (did it come with one in or on the box)? Not all of these are the same.

But first, before you wire it up, there are some things to verify.

You ran #14 wire. What size is the circuit breaker for this circuit, 15A or 20A?

What type of wire did you run to the shed (NM "Romex" cable, UF "Outdoor Romex" cable, MC (spiral metal cable with wires inside), something else)?

How does the wire get to the shed - overhead, buried? If buried, how deep is it?

Now for the switch. You must have a disconnect in the shed, so that switch needs to turn off the receptacle and any lights. If you don't it to work like this, then you need a separate switch which you'll always leave on unless you're working on the circuit in the shed.

Need a diagram that came with the switch or at least the number and colors of the screws on the switch to tell you how to wire it. Also look to see if there is a built in jumper tab between two brass colored screws.