dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Building > Electrical Code - USA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical Code - USA Commercial or Residential 1999 / 2002 / 2005 versions - for UNITED STATES

#1   IP: 24.22.235.198
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Default load calc. admin. test

Im taking this test just to have it and I havent had a lot of experience with major load calculations. I know how to do the small stuff that needs to be done on the job. But doing multiple units and major commercial spacing im just not getting it.
I have my 01 card and I have friends that own thier own business helping me study. but its just not working. So im going to look into taking a class for this.
what i want to know is-
is there anything on the web that has load calc study guides for me to practice with?
all i could find was formulas to buy.
or if anyone is interested in helping me that would would be nice.
thanks
dave
Bothell, wa
  #2   IP: 75.204.202.62
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

See the following link for a format to calculate a single family dwelling demand load calc.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/home-...ation-2002.php

Now for calculating a multifamily dwelling you have to first understand that a multifamily dwelling is three units or more. Two units is treated same as a single family dwelling twice then divided by the two units.

Now if you wish to calculate a single or double family dwelling unit using the optional method read NEC 220.80

If you read NEC 220.84 you may use this set of rules as an optional method of calculation for a multifamly dwelling unit with credit given for number of apartments using a demand load found in the chart in these rules. Then you should calculate the General method of calculation same as for a single dwelling then multiplied times the number of apartments on that certain service. Be sure to realize that as you use the general method credit is given for multiple ranges, multiple dryers etc. Compare the two calculations. You may use the lesser of the two calculated answers as your demand load calculation of that multifamily dwelling. Watch out for an apartment building that has fire walls and multiple services. Then calculate the demand for each service for the apartments on each service as multiple demand load calculations.

Look at Table 220.4.A to find the general lighting load for each type structure you are calculating.

Now when you enter into calculating a damand load for a commercial or factory then you have other items to learn such as motor feeder sizing and special rules that apply in Chapter 4 to consider with motor loads. Then for industrial three phase you get into technical balancing the load so that the three service conductors are loaded equally by balancing the loads using less than three service conductors to carry their work load. Example is a single phase motor on a three phase service. Only one or two service conductors of the three service conductors of a three phase service is used on that certain single phase motor. This is when balancing the load truly comes into play by finding multiple single phase motors placed on each different service conductors of the three service conductors causing the load to become equal between the service conductors.

This may get you started thinking. We have several very skilled professionals on this forum that will be glad to answer your questions as they arrive in your studies. Just post in the electrical exam preperations forum subject with your questions.

Good Luck

Wg
  #3   IP: 24.41.32.231
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
First Class Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiedon20s View Post
Im taking this test just to have it and I havent had a lot of experience with major load calculations. I know how to do the small stuff that needs to be done on the job. But doing multiple units and major commercial spacing im just not getting it.
I have my 01 card and I have friends that own thier own business helping me study. but its just not working. So im going to look into taking a class for this.
what i want to know is-
is there anything on the web that has load calc study guides for me to practice with?
all i could find was formulas to buy.
or if anyone is interested in helping me that would would be nice.
thanks
dave
Bothell, wa
I'm an Admin in WA state. I'm going to assume you are looking to start-up your own business, or be an Admin for someone's business if you are planning to take the Admins exam! Seeing that you presented yourself as an 01, then I'm going to expect more from you. I would say the hardest part of the exam is exactly what you are looking to improve on: DLC's. The best way to achieve your goal is to study daily--quizzing yourself whenever possible. You may want to invest in a few books--so you can get a variety of calculation problems, and a varied view on how to calculate demand loads. Also, come here regularly, I have at least 5 or more I can throw at you . Your test may also have transformer calculations [I have a few I can throw at you], so be ready for this--be ready for any and everything. Example of what may be on your test:
1. Single family DLC's
2. Multi Family DLC's
3. Motor Calculations
4. 1 Ph transformer calculations
5. 3 ph transformer calculations and
6. Electrical theory
7. etc..........

This site and our team will help you greatly, but only you will see your way to the top!! Yet, you will need to be involved, and serious!! Don't waste your time or ours!!! Also, don't feel like you have to know it all, because we don't!!

When you are ready. Start here:http://www.selfhelpforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

My ending note: Washington State Administrators are suppose to be electrical code leaders. They are the backbone of any Electrical Contracting business in WA State. They are supervisors of electricians, and guardians of safety. To me, Administrators are WAC, are NEC, and any jurisdictional electrical code that exist. Administrators in the State of Washington are suppose to be ...........administrators.

Last edited by Ohm1 : July 19th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
  #4   IP: 24.41.32.231
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
First Class Moderator

I'm sure you already have this, but go here for exam info: http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensin...Administrators
  #5   IP: 24.22.235.198
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm1 View Post
I'm sure you already have this, but go here for exam info: http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensin...Administrators
All that tells me is how many questions are in each section.

thanks for all your help guys!
ive read throught section 220 quite a few times.
ive never been good at tests. I do fine when im studying with my old boss. But at the exam i just dont end up getting any of the answers that they have.
I have already passes the theory section. The wac and rcw books are a joke, its so hard to find the right answers, so i missed that one and have to take it again.Ive taken the load calc 3 time and got 40% 60% 50%. its only 10 questions now.
what i would really like is a study guide that has the same type of questions that are on the test. I think this would allow me to sit down and figure out how they are getting their answers so i know what im doing wrong.

And im taking this so that i can have sort of my own part time business. I do a lot of side jobs and always have my friends pull permits for me. And just want it so i can start my own and do my side jobs legally. I in know way shape or form want my own full time business. I will always have a different 40hr a week job. This stuff is just for my play money so i can fund my hobbies without dipping into my real job money.
as of lately i usually just run them through my company and take a part of the profit.that way i can do it during business hours and it doesnt interfere with my fishing or car shows!!
  #6   IP: 24.41.32.231
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
First Class Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiedon20s View Post
All that tells me is how many questions are in each section.

thanks for all your help guys!
ive read throught section 220 quite a few times.
ive never been good at tests. I do fine when im studying with my old boss. But at the exam i just dont end up getting any of the answers that they have.
I have already passes the theory section. The wac and rcw books are a joke, its so hard to find the right answers, so i missed that one and have to take it again.Ive taken the load calc 3 time and got 40% 60% 50%. its only 10 questions now.
what i would really like is a study guide that has the same type of questions that are on the test. I think this would allow me to sit down and figure out how they are getting their answers so i know what im doing wrong.

And im taking this so that i can have sort of my own part time business. I do a lot of side jobs and always have my friends pull permits for me. And just want it so i can start my own and do my side jobs legally. I in know way shape or form want my own full time business. I will always have a different 40hr a week job. This stuff is just for my play money so i can fund my hobbies without dipping into my real job money.
as of lately i usually just run them through my company and take a part of the profit.that way i can do it during business hours and it doesnt interfere with my fishing or car shows!!
Be careful doing what you are currently doing! It's illegal, and could cost you and the people pulling permits for you big. To be honest, you and others are taking work from small legitimate businesses as myself. If you go full time self employment, you will see exactly what I'm talking about!!!! Also, this state is the worse for small business owners!!!! I've thought about shutting down, but I'm currently going a different route. You should be happy you are even working!!! Hope to see you in the exam room!!! Feel free to post questions you are having trouble with.

Last edited by Ohm1 : July 19th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
  #7   IP: 24.41.32.231
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
First Class Moderator

PS: Don't get caught doing side work without your current employer knowing about it. He or she can be held liable--------it want be pretty!!!
  #8   IP: 75.11.36.143
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohm1 View Post
PS: Don't get caught doing side work without your current employer knowing about it. He or she can be held liable--------it want be pretty!!!
How can an employer be held liable for jobs an employee does on the side????

Quote:
Be careful doing what you are currently doing! It's illegal, and could cost you and the people pulling permits for you big. To be honest, you and others are taking working from small legitimate businesses as myself. If you go full time self employment, you will see exactly what I'm talking about!!!!

Ohm check your mailbox I'm sending you some white towels to cry in.... Seriously you are overreacting so calm down.

Besides who knows if anyone tells the truth on the internet ...

If the WAC books are no good then I really don't know how your going to come up with any that fit the format of these tests. So I would simply suggest that you use google a bunch and try mike holt books and Tom Henry in florida. Just google them. Stallcup's books are good.
  #9   IP: 24.41.32.231
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
First Class Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
How can an employer be held liable for jobs an employee does on the side????

Ohm check your mailbox I'm sending you some white towels to cry in.... Seriously you are overreacting so calm down.

Besides who knows if anyone tells the truth on the internet ...

If the WAC books are no good then I really don't know how your going to come up with any that fit the format of these tests. So I would simply suggest that you use google a bunch and try mike holt books and Tom Henry in florida. Just google them. Stallcup's books are good.
It is that serious here, and I'm not overreacting, I'm being honest. Our state (broke state) has a special division for people who work outside the rules (Law). Their job is specific to catching people doing exactly what the OP is doing. So keep your white towels---for another day!!

In my view, the WAC was the easiest part of the test!!!
  #10   IP: 75.11.36.143
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master with Distinction'

Ohm

I can't address your problem with work being hard to find... as it is off topic. Maybe we need an off topic area on the forum???? A place to vent.....

Take up fishing it will relax you but the investment in all those rods and reels and shiny new lures might break your bank.....