dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Small Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Small Engines Small Engine Repair such as chain saws, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, etc.

#1   IP: 205.200.39.74
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Default Removal of Fuel Solenoid

Hi:

I am looking for information on removing the fuel solenoid from the carburetor bowl.

I have a lawn tractor with Briggs and Stratton motor model 311777, type 0209-E1, and code 02113112D. This is a 16hp Intek ohv motor.

Tractor will not start and I believe the solenoid is in the off position. I cannot see and fasteners or screws tho hold the solenoid on and I am thinking there has to be a way to remove it without removing the carburetor. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
PaMnd
  #2   IP: 142.167.2.84
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Are you shure there is a fuel solenoid on this unit, I've worked on plenty of them and not run into this issue. Kindly let us know in detail what tanspiered and what its doing now, we'll have you up & running in no time.
  #3   IP: 205.200.39.94
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Default Removal of Fuel Solenoid

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

Basic problem is that it will not start. Adding fuel thru the intake allows the motor to run and then quit. So it is not getting fuel. Disconnecting the fuel line allows fuel to come out so fuel is present at the carburetor. On the carburetor bowl there is a wire connected to a device on the bottom hence the solenoid.

PaMnd
  #4   IP: 4.224.147.31
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

There is a safety sensor that shuts off the fuel using a wire connection but can not remember what it senses or how it shuts off the fuel. Maybe someone remembers this device found on new products. Best I can remember this wire needs power to it to allow fuel to go through the carb. I believe the other end of the wire goes to the fuel pump.

Sorry best I have on the subject.

Wg

Last edited by Wgoodrich : May 13th, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
  #5   IP: 142.167.2.84
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Look around the fuel tank and the hose's leading there to, there should be a shut of valve,( MANUAL ) if not I would remove the carb, install carb kit, needle,seat, and make shure all air and fuel inlets are clean, spray with carb cleaner, blow out with gentle air, replace breather filter. and that should solve it. There is NO electric fuel shut off on this system.
  #6   IP: 67.117.24.86
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Sport5sp View Post
Hi:

I am looking for information on removing the fuel solenoid from the carburetor bowl.

I have a lawn tractor with Briggs and Stratton motor model 311777, type 0209-E1, and code 02113112D. This is a 16hp Intek ohv motor.

Tractor will not start and I believe the solenoid is in the off position. I cannot see and fasteners or screws tho hold the solenoid on and I am thinking there has to be a way to remove it without removing the carburetor. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
PaMnd
Good luck on that one - i believe that is a mikuni carburator and the solenoid is inegral to the carb.
the wire when energized opens the solenoid and allows fuel to enter the carburator emulsion tube. when power is remvoed, the solenoid closes.

this prevents after-fire when the engine is turned off,

And I am pretty sure you have to remove the carb to get the solenoid off.

SInce I am going by memory, I could be wrong. But this is what it sounds/read like to me.

Change to the change.... It is a NIKKI carb. not a Mikuni like I first thought. You cannot remove the solenoid and still operate the engine.

Last edited by wannabe : May 13th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
  #7   IP: 142.167.2.84
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:41 AM

Thumbs up

Wannabe, I have not run in to a fuel soeniod as of yet, but glad to have this info, do you think that maybe this is a US thing or is it the norm for all newer machines, one way or the other thanks for your post, you have enlightened me and expanded my knowledge. Keep up the GOOD work, its good to have your experince on this site.
Mike
  #8   IP: 67.117.24.86
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ CORMIER View Post
Wannabe, I have not run in to a fuel soeniod as of yet, but glad to have this info, do you think that maybe this is a US thing or is it the norm for all newer machines, one way or the other thanks for your post, you have enlightened me and expanded my knowledge. Keep up the GOOD work, its good to have your experince on this site.
Mike
Thank you.

I was able to get the engine/carb information because the orginal poster included the necessary engine information.
Briggs and Stratton motor model 311777, type 0209-E1, and code 02113112D

I dont know if this is a US thing or the norm for "newer" machines. What I do know is the code contains the year when the engine was manufactured. The first 2 digits tells me this was made in 2002.

The solenoid on the carburator is something I have seen for a while on the larger engines. 12-14 hp on up. Again, this is to prevent afterfire and also may be part of reducing emissions.
  #9   IP: 205.245.188.115
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Default May be of help

I was facing the same problem. I have a B&S 18.5hp Intek that has a NIKKO carb on it and they too have the fuel solenoid. On this one there is NO reason to remove the carb. It simply unscrews. And after a very frustrating run of troubleshooting, it was the solenoid causing my problems. Notthat it isthe correct thing to do but, I unscrewed the solenoid and pulled the spring and stopper out with a pair of pliers, screwed it back in (did not reconnect the wire) and installed a manual fule shutoff inline and it works great.
  #10   IP: 74.216.90.15
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Hi:

I am posting an update on topic which is now solved. I want to thank all the posters who responded and pointed me in the correct direction. Also, I would like to apologies for the delay in actually applying the fix.

The solenoid was the problem and after I was successful in removing it the lawn tractor started and runs fine. The trick, for this solenoid, was that the solenoid is actually two external pieces. The base is encased by, what I believe to be, a electro-magnet. This item will turn in whatever direction you want without loosening the solenoid. The second problem is that the space between this magnet and the carb bowl does not allow standard wrenches to fit. What I did was to take a half inch wrench and file it thinner until it would fit. Then, with very little pressure, the solenoid comes off. I jammed the pin down or open and reassembled everything except the wire for the solenoid. Tractor started and ran just fine. Replaced solenoid and problem fixed.

Thanks again for the help
PaMnd