Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 72.140.126.220
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Default Maytag Neptune Washer leaks when pumping out

I have noticed a small amount of water coming from under my Maytag Neptune Washer. It happens on small, medium or large loads. I have sat through a cycle and it only happens when discharging water. I will be checking the connection of the discharge hose but if that is not the problem, can anyone tell me what else I might be looking for while I have it up on the saw horses. Also, if it is a seal issue with the pump, is that serviceable or will I have to wake-up the Maytag repair man?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Eugene
  #2   IP: 72.12.139.39
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Maytag Neptune Washer
Model and serial#?

Quote:
it only happens when discharging water
Cracked drain hose, bad hose clamp, bad pump itself, torn hose between the pump and outer tank.....these would be prime suspects.

Quote:
if it is a seal issue with the pump, is that serviceable
No parts for the parts, only avaialble as a complete pump assy.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 72.140.126.220
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks Jeff,

I will check all of those things out when I have it up where I can see it.

Model # MAH5500BWW
Serial No. 98925195AV

Entire assembly...not such a bad thing - sure, more money than a kit might be but it sounds like I might be able to swap it out on my own - yes?

Thanks,

Eugene
  #4   IP: 72.12.139.39
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
but it sounds like I might be able to swap it out on my own - yes?
Yes.

If needed:

Drain pump assembly

Quote:
MAH5500BWW
Some access helps...
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag...s/16010061.pdf

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 72.140.126.220
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Many thanks, I'll let you know how things work out on this project.

Eugene
  #6   IP: 67.69.149.162
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Please do keep us posted

jeff.
  #7   IP: 72.140.72.152
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:05 AM

Well Jeff, it turns out it was the injector hose leading from the detergent, bleach and softener dispenser to the tub. The water wasn't leaking out of the bottom until enough pooled in the bottom panel. That took about as long as the wash cycle. The new hose has been ordered and will arrive Monday. As a temporary solution, bicycle patches appeared to have vulcanized properly to the hose - although it did feel more like silicone than rubber - it should get me through the weekend and if it leaks, it only leaks a bit.

However, after putting everything back together, I am now getting a "do" indicator on the display panel. It boots up fine with the number of minutes showing on the display for the chosen cycle but as soon as I press the start button - "do" indicator.

If I turn it off and press start - "do"

Yep, the door is closed, all wire connectors in proper places, etc. I even took off the front panel and re-installed the door so I could see that the lock mechanism is working properly - the slide for the lock moves back and forth easily, the switch for the door light disengages and engages properly.

With the power on, when I physically move the sliding door lock mechanism that the solenoid controls to the locked position, the solenoid kicks it back to the "open" position.

When I was testing for leaks, I was running a rinse cycle and when I found the leak, I turned the unit off, unplugged it and set to work. The tub is partially full of water, could this interrupted event or the water in the tub have anything to do with it?

Refresher:

Model # MAH5500BWW
Serial No. 98925195AV

I was so pleased I found the leak but now it seems I may have made things worse. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Eugene
  #8   IP: 72.12.139.39
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
it turns out it was the injector hose leading from the detergent, bleach and softener dispenser to the tub. The water wasn't leaking out of the bottom until enough pooled in the bottom panel. That took about as long as the wash cycle.
Interesting....good catch! Nothing then to do with the draining.

Quote:
I am now getting a "do" indicator on the display panel. It boots up fine with the number of minutes showing on the display for the chosen cycle but as soon as I press the start button - "do" indicator.
A copy:

DO
Door
Open Door monitor switch in door lock mechanism is not able to communicate to the control board is open.
1.Make door is closed.
2.Check for loose wire connections at switch and/ or machine control board.
3.Check for failed door monitor switch.
4.Check inputs and outputs at machine control board.
5.Replace responsible component.

Maybe pulled off or loosened a wire during disassembly or testing?

Quote:
The tub is partially full of water, could this interrupted event or the water in the tub have anything to do with it?
Not normally no.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #9   IP: 72.140.72.152
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM

Smile Have patience and sweat the small stuff - it works.

Jeff,

Thanks. The machine was prepped for moving by a service tech who couldn't find a nylon shipping screw to secure the tub so he used nylon straps in a couple of areas - only one was removed when the movers re-located the tub - it was around the collar for the injector hose but with a few washes, it slipped up onto the hose and sliced into it.

Went to work with my meter and checked and re-checked all those things and still no luck - I was re-checking all the wires for continuity and found a loose connection between one of the wires and pins at the board. Pushed it out, re-crimped it, pushed it into place, crossed my fingers and it worked.

During this entire ordeal, the venter motor on my gas furnace gave out and I had to R & R the motor and blower unit. Then the fridge developed a leak just about where the ice and water filter is - it turned out to be a crack in the drip tray - silicon seal in place until I can order a new tray. Man, what a weekend.

Thanks for your help - drilling it down to those small details inspired me to check each of the switches and wires individually instead of troubleshooting backwards from the problem by replacing the door lock assembly, then the wiring harness, etc.

Much appreciated!

Eugene

Last edited by eduke : October 5th, 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Success