dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Home Security
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Home Security Questions & Discussions on the topic of Home Security

#1   IP: 97.82.212.0
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Default DSC 1555 - installer code

I'm trying to leave my current alarm monitoring system and go with NextAlarm. To confirm that my current system is compatible with NextAlarm, i need to submit my installer code (actually I think NextAlarm wants to know if I'll be able to reset the dial up number which is done after enterinulg the installer code).

NextAlarm says all DSC systems have installer code of *8 + model number which means I would enter *81555 and then should see all lights on steady.

Instead, I get the blink light and a long beep, meaning I have the wrong code.
I wonder whether current provider changed the installer code to prevent home owners from switching service?

Is there a way to reset the installer code to default - back to *81555?

If you don't know of an installer code, I'd appreciate hearing what you recommend at this point.

Thanks
Dale
  #2   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Smile

Depends?

The factory default installer code should be 5555.

The odds are great that either the installer or monitoring company "locked out" the panel and setup a new installer code so that YOU would not be able to get into programming. It stinks but does protect them.

The panel may be able to be "defaulted" back to factory specs BUT you would have to re-program the panel for your setup.

Here is how you check to see if your panel is "locked out".

Open up the alarm cabinet and look for the leads to the battery........unplug both of them. Then look for the AC to 12 volt transformer that powers your system....unplug it. The system should now be down.

If the AC transformer is not very close to the panel...get someone else to assist you before you go on.

You are going to power up the panel and you must listen to the clicks and chatters noises that come from the panel. Plug in the AC transformer and then quickly attach the battery leads.

Listen to the panel........if it makes a series of 10 to 12 chatters / clicks......then it is locked and you are out of luck. The panel will have to be replaced or you will have to pay an installer with an "instant unlocker" to come and unlock your panel.

If it only makes 1 or 2 sounds..........it can be defaulted but you must be ready to re-program the panel or hire someone to do it for you.

The DSC1555 is an older series of systems and if the panel is locked, I would look to upgrade to the recent DSC1616 or DSC1832 panels. You will need new keypads but all the wiring and existing sensors should work just fine.

Do you have both the user and installer manuals for your system?

If your panel is NOT locked.......you need to get the manuals.

Let us know how you make out with the lock out test.
  #3   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Smile

Depends?

The factory default installer code should be 5555.

The odds are great that either the installer or monitoring company "locked out" the panel and setup a new installer code so that YOU would not be able to get into programming. It stinks but does protect them.

The panel may be able to be "defaulted" back to factory specs BUT you would have to re-program the panel for your setup.

Here is how you check to see if your panel is "locked out".

Open up the alarm cabinet and look for the leads to the battery........unplug both of them. Then look for the AC to 12 volt transformer that powers your system....unplug it. The system should now be down.

If the AC transformer is not very close to the panel...get someone else to assist you before you go on.

You are going to power up the panel and you must listen to the clicks and chatters noises that come from the panel. Plug in the AC transformer and then quickly attach the battery leads.

Listen to the panel........if it makes a series of 10 to 12 chatters / clicks......then it is locked and you are out of luck. The panel will have to be replaced or you will have to pay an installer with an "instant unlocker" to come and unlock your panel.

If it only makes 1 or 2 sounds..........it can be defaulted but you must be ready to re-program the panel or hire someone to do it for you.

The DSC1555 is an older series of systems and if the panel is locked, I would look to upgrade to the recent DSC1616 or DSC1832 panels. You will need new keypads but all the wiring and existing sensors should work just fine.

Do you have both the user and installer manuals for your system?

If your panel is NOT locked.......you need to get the manuals.

Let us know how you make out with the lock out test.
  #4   IP: 12.203.9.130
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Default thanks george

Thanks for the tip George. First, I'll try the 5555. I probably tried that, among many others, but I was focused on getting the 1555 to work.

Second, I'm trying to get in touch with the previous owner to see if he installed this himself and reset the installer code. It would be like him to have installed it, and if he did, he would have used a new installer code for security as well.

Third... you're prescribed testing to see whether it is locked.

Thanks...it's nice to have the advice of a genius...!!!

Dale
  #5   IP: 172.137.161.153
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Default Installer Code

I had the same problem with my alarm
and spent about 20 min. trying all different #.(I'm CHEAP)
And then I looked up the alarm company in the phone book and used the last 4 digits of their phone #. That one WORKED for me!!!!
Or the last 4 of their address.