dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 69.245.198.126
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Default Ice Cubes taste funny

Hello,
I have a Frigidaire FRT18IL6DMP (mfd 10/07). This model has the automatic ice maker, and the ice cubes have had a funny taste from day one. I have tapped into the water supply from under the kitchen sink. I used refrigerant copper from the supply to behind the fridge, then it couples one of the flexible woven stainless steel supply lines to the fridge. Although I do have city tap water, it tastes fine normally. When the ice cubes melt in my drink, they leave a very funny taste. I thought eventually this taste would go away as water moves through the lines, but that hasn't happened yet and it has been more than 6 months since we got the fridge. Granted, we don't move a whole lot of ice in my house, but I have dumped the entire tray of cubes several times and let it start over. The cubes do not seem to lose the weird taste. Could it be the plastic line that runs from the bottom of the fridge up to the ice maker? Is there a way to disconnect this at the actual ice maker and just let a steady flow of water run blast through it for a while to clean it out? Any advice would be appreciated.
  #2   IP: 75.185.195.233
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Rotaredom

Is there a carbon filter in line? They can cause bad tastes if they are contaminated or 'filled up'.
Is refrigerant copper rated for household water?
Have you cleaned/sanitized your ice maker?

Just a few ideas.
  #3   IP: 69.245.198.126
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the replies...

Quote:
Is there a carbon filter in line?
Good question. I have no idea where this would be. I know I didn't put anything I believed to be a carbon filter in anywhere. Would this be part of the ice maker from the factory?

Quote:
Is refrigerant copper rated for household water?
I would hope so, as it was part of a kit especially for ice makers!

Quote:
Have you cleaned/sanitized your ice maker?
No. How would one do this?
  #4   IP: 75.185.195.233
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Rotaredom

The filters are usually inline.. Mine sits on the floor behind the fridge. I'm sure there are fridges out there with them built in but they'd be higher end fridges. It's just a 2" or so cylinder about a foot long.

Ok if it's made for a icemaker then you are good. Sounded like you were talking about something else.

You would need to get to the icemaker itself and fill the tray up and anything else that comes in contact with the water with a bleach water mixture.. dont let it freeze though. rinse well.

If you suspect the water line is contaminated then you would need to remove it and flush it out too.

The water line should easily remove from the back of the fridge. I'd let it sit a while then remove the line and drain the contents into a glass and taste it. see if it tastes funny. If the line is contaminated the problem will occur when the water is sitting in it for a few hours. You can flush the line that way to by unhooking it and stickign it in the sink or a nearby drain for a while.
  #5   IP: 72.12.139.39
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
I have a Frigidaire FRT18IL6DMP (mfd 10/07).
Still under warranty? Has a Frigidaire warranty depot checked it out?

Something from Frigidaire...
http://www.frigidaire.com/support/FA...igerator.asp#4

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #6   IP: 69.245.198.17
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM

Default Success!

14 months later, I finally figured out what was causing the bad tasting ice cubes.
Quote:
I used refrigerant copper from the supply to behind the fridge, then it couples one of the flexible woven stainless steel supply lines to the fridge.
I removed the stainless steel supply from the equation, and connected the copper straight to the fridge and the bad taste is gone!
  #7   IP: 72.12.139.39
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thankx for the update!

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #8   IP: 120.28.71.81
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Ice maker

clean it thoroughly and you can call some technicians to help you because it is more better if they are there to see your fridge..
  #9   IP: 216.15.19.158
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM

Default Stainless steel supply line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode VioL8R View Post
14 months later, I finally figured out what was causing the bad tasting ice cubes.

I removed the stainless steel supply from the equation, and connected the copper straight to the fridge and the bad taste is gone!
Was your stainless steel supply line specifically for an ice maker and it was still making the ice taste bad?

I have a new fridge and had this same problem. The lines from the sink are braided stainless steel and a label says it's for an ice maker. From the bottom of the fridge to the top is a flexible plastic tube that came with the fridge.

I'm not sure which one is causing the problem. I'm renting short-term so don't want to bother replacing anything unnecessarily.

thanks for your help