dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Home Security
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Home Security Questions & Discussions on the topic of Home Security

#1   IP: 72.80.254.41
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Default How do I get a DSC 1832 to recognize the wireless zones?

Hi!,

I am trying to get my dsc1832 system to recognize 10 wireless zones in addition to the 3 hardwired zones. The manual is near useless and the pc link tool is no help? Does anyone know the answer?

James
  #2   IP: 75.16.216.172
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM

The sytem needs a wireless receiver either a 5132-433 or a 5132-433 built into a keypad.

What do you have?

Do you have the installer and master codes for your system.

PC-link is not a cure all but merely an assist once you understand how to program your system. How are you connecting the PC-link to a computer? Do you have the DLS2002 software and have you downloaded the updates from DSC including the web update program?

The very first step is to complete the programming worksheet as this is your roadmap to success....have you completed the worksheet?

Each zone has attributes and definitions that must be programmed and the ESN (electronic serial numbers for each wireless transmitter must be programmed into the 5132 receiver. Do you have all the ESN's?

I need more information than you have provided to be able to offer much assistance.

Here is some very basic help:

I have just finished programming my Power 632 Panel (PC1555MX) with RF5501-433 Keypad, extra 5501Z Keypad, wired motion detectors, wired siren, wireless motion detectors, wireless glassbreak, wireless fire, wireless door, wireless keyfob.

I've seen many posts complaining about how terrible the DSC manuals are, and I agree!

For those who face the same challenge I've just been put through, I offer the following guide.

The instructions below uses "5555", the default installation code, "," to recommend that you pause for a second before entering the next sequence. Also, I sometimes use "#" more than needed to get back to the main screen. As you become more adept, you can stay in the same programming section without always going back to the main screen.

Step (1) Wiring -- the manual is fairly clear on this
note: if you are NOT using resistors, your wired zones may always display "open" once they are programmed -- see step (10).

Step (2) Enroll 1 Keypad
*8, 5555, 000, 0, 11, ##
*8, 5555, 902 ##
To enroll 2 keypads:
*8, 5555, 000, 0, 11, ##
*8, 5555, 000, 0, 12, ##
*8, 5555, 902, ##

Note: the sequence "*8, 5555, 902, ##" is a "supervisory reset", which is required after enrolling keypads.

Step (3) set time -- the manual is fairly clear on this

Step (4) enroll wireless keys
*8, 5555, 804, 41, then enter the 6 digit ESN on the back of the key. (note some ESN's are in hexadecimal -- see hexadecimal below), ##
- to enroll second wireless key: *8, 5555, 804, 42, its ESN, ##

Step (5) enroll wireless sensors
*8, 5555, 804, 09, its ESN, 10, its ESN, 11, its ESN, 12, its ESN, ## (note 09, 10, 11, 12, etc. refer to the zone numbers)

Step (6) define zones
*8, 5555, 001, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, ##
*8, 5555, 002, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, ##

Notes: the above assumes that you have 8 wired zones all set as instant zones & 8 wireless zones, all set as instant zones. If you have fewer than 8 wired zones, say you have 6 wired zones, enter in "03" just six times then ##. If you have fewer than 8 wireless zones, say, 7, enter "03" just seven times then ##. If you have more than 8 wireless zones, say, 14, follow the instructions for 8 zones then key *8, 5555, 003, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, 03, ##. If you want to use different zone definitions, refer to pages 16-17 in the manual. But for initial install, as a helpful way to test, "03" is a good one to begin with. If you want to use, for example, definition 03 in zone 1, definition 01 in zone 2-4, definition 04 in zones 5-8, key as follows *8, 5555, 001, 03, 01, 01, 01, 04, 04, 04, 04, ##.

Step (7) zone attributes
*8, 5555, 101 (for zone 1), select one or more attributes listed on page 17, ##
*8, 5555, 102 (for zone 2), select one or more attributes listed on page 17, ##

Say you want attributes 1, 3, 6, 8 for zone 10, key *8,5555,110, 1,3,6,8 (they toggle, so see if 1,3,6,8 are displayed on the top of the screen - for LCD keypads), ##

Step (8 ) zone assignments
*8, 5555, 202 (for zones 1-, select one or more zones, ##
*8, 5555, 203 (for zones 9-16), select one or more zones, ##

As in step (7), you will see numbers 1-8 listed on the top of the screen for LCD keypads...when the zone number is selected it is displayed. For zones 1-8, displayed numbers 1-8 correspond to zones 1-8. For zones 9-16, numbers 1-8 correspond to zones 9, 16, etc..

Step (9) chime
*8, 5555, *, 01 (for zone 01), select chime type (1-4), ##
*8, 5555, *, 02 (for zone 02), select chime type (1-4), ##

Note: chime is attribute "03" in step 7. If you want some zones to chime and others not, select "03" or not, accordingly.
Note: you must also have the "chime" feature enabled on your keypad. There is a dedicated "chime" button on the 5501 keypad.

Step (10), optional.
IF your wired zones are showing "open" all the time, key *8, 5555, 013, and check to see that "1" is displayed. If not, select "1", ##

Hexadecimal instructions.
some ESN wireless codes use letters and numbers. While programming the ESN in the enrollment step, use "*" to toggle between numbers and letters. So, for ESN 4A6E28, key 4*1*6*5*28. A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4, E=5, F=6.

Other useful codes.
*8, 5555, 013, 4, ## (toggle for tampers/faults showing as open)
*8, 5555, 380, 2, ## (restore zone on siren time-out)
*8, 5555, 901, ## (walk test) -- same sequence to deactivate
*8, 5555, 904, zone number, (wireless reception test) ##
*2, (view trouble code), key code number displayed, reference page 10 for more information
*6, master code (default is 1234), 4 (system test)

There's much more you can program, but the above steps should get you up and running!
  #3   IP: 190.80.47.29
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM

A very helpful guide however I'm still having problems with my system. I have a DSC-1832 box, with PK5501 v1.10 keypad. I have 3x wireless door contacts model DSC WS4945, 3x wireless PIR model DSC WS4904, 2x wired PIR model Digital Bravo 3P, and 2x wireless key fob model DSC WS4939.

This system was bought to secure our business while of course we lock up for the evening. We do not need any of the sensors to go off while we are here in the building during the day. Only to set off an alarm after we have left the building for the day.

Our plans for the sensors.

- 3x Wireless door contacts to be on a delay 30 second entry and exit timer to allow arming of the system from inside.

- 3x Wireless PIR sensors to be on a delayed 30 second entry and exit timer to allow arming of the system from inside.

- 2x Wired PIR sensors to be on an instant timer for they are placed on the inside of two storage buildings located seperatly from our main building.

- 2x Wireless key fobs to allow arming/disarming of the system from the outside.

Currently I have the panel hooked up with power, and the 2x wired PIR. For the wiring I have used a wire with four wires inside ran to each of the storage buildings to wire the PIR sensors.
Wiring of the wired PIR1: 12V - Red, GND - Black, NC - White, C - Green
Wiring of the PIR to panel: Aux+ Red, Aux- Black, Zone1- White, Zone1com -Green

Wiring of the wired PIR2: 12V - Red, GND - Black, NC - White, C - Green
Wiring of the PIR to panel: Aux+ Red, Aux- Black, Zone2- White, Zone2com -Green

I've have the keypad associated with the panel, i've entered in system time and date, I have the alarm siren connected(it's loud!!), and I've entered the wireless devices into the 804 menu. And tested them in the 904 menu, and they work fine.

I'm still confused as to what devices are under what zone, and how set those zones with the settings for delayed entry/exit timers when armed, and not to go off everytime a door is opened weather it's armed or not.

I still cannot get the system to arm as it has a fault saying Secure System before arming. So if you could, i'm looking for any assistance your willing to offer, as I'm stumped and cannot figure this out. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!!

Scott
  #4   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Your system needs to be programmed and all the steps are too lengthy to list.

If the manual leaves you clueless.....it is time to call a professional for assistance. Watch and learn from him.

You must complete the programming worksheet as the very first step to program your system......this worksheet is your road map to success and will be your reference while programming your system.

Each zone must be defined and have it's attributes set and this is where you program "toogle #8" to turn on the wireless. The wireless receiver and keypads MUST be enrolled via section #902 and then can be checked via section #903.

The ESN (electronic serial numbers) for each wireless device must be programmed into the 5132 wrieless receiver.

The programming is not a 2 minute process...it takes time. The PC-link works very well in conjunction with the DLS2002 required software. You must understand your system and basic programming to be successful with the downloading software. There are no "canned" templates.

When you choose to be a DIY'er......you can save alot of money but you take on all the work whether trained or not.

Sorry that I can not give you a step by step process to get your system programmed.
  #5   IP: 190.80.47.29
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM

No, still thank you for your time. Yes this stuff reads like Chinese stereo instructions to me, however there are no professional services where I am located. As I am not in the United States, and deployed overseas. I've been trying to read this stuff over and over and over, and I have the work book filled out, but alot of the options I'm still unsure If they have to be programmed, if they don't have to be programmed, what the default/normal is etc. I've been trying to work with the homesecuritystore.com where I bought the system from. They just take a incredible amount of time to respond back to even a small or simple question.
  #6   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM

The manuals are written for professional installers as it is assumed that DIY'ers (unless very skilled) will not be doing alarms.....just the facts of life.

It seems like you are going over 8 zones and that may be the problem.....check section 201 to be sure that each zone is set to the the correct partition.

What zone numbers are set for wireless and what zone numbers are set for hard-wire?

Have you set each zone for NC and NO EOLR (end of line resistors)?

When you use the arrow keys...what zones does it say are not ready?

Also try *2 and then arrow over to see what zones are not ready.

You are probably real close with the programming and we may get it sorted out.
  #7   IP: 190.80.47.29
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george6488 View Post
The manuals are written for professional installers as it is assumed that DIY'ers (unless very skilled) will not be doing alarms.....just the facts of life.

It seems like you are going over 8 zones and that may be the problem.....check section 201 to be sure that each zone is set to the the correct partition.

What zone numbers are set for wireless and what zone numbers are set for hard-wire?

Have you set each zone for NC and NO EOLR (end of line resistors)?

When you use the arrow keys...what zones does it say are not ready?

Also try *2 and then arrow over to see what zones are not ready.

You are probably real close with the programming and we may get it sorted out.
Yes I can defenitly tell that this is for somebody who has been doing this line of work for quite some time, as well as probably had some type of formal training. And not just some knuckle dragging Army guy like myself trying to make this thing work.

Well so far I have the 2x "WIRED" PIR set plugged into Zone 1 and Zone 2 in the panel. I'm not sure how they are setup really. And I do not have a resistor on their as I was unsure if they needed one or not, and if so which kind.

I've just been trying to get the system to arm itself, but It says Gen Sys something, I can't remember off the top of my head. As well as it says Secure the System.

I know I'm somewhat close to having this thing figured out, just a few small simple steps/button pushes and It would be all done. I just wish somebody had a more Alarm for dummies kind of guides for this system. That would go step by step, as I'm one of those people that need something like that.

But everyday I just continue to work on this thing for a few hours until I can't take it no more and just come back to check forums, and emails from the company. Hoping I can find a solution.

Thanks again for all of your help, I know this alarm will get done soon.
  #8   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM

"Gen Sys" is probably General System Tamper or General System Trouble. Look in appendix "D" at the end of the installation manual for possible solutions to this error.

You will NOT be able to arm the system until all troubles are cleared and all zones are closed.

There is no step by step procedure for alarm panels as every situation is different from a previous installation.
  #9   IP: 68.91.101.247
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM

HOW TO PROGRAM A DSC SYSTEM – A TUTORIAL

The goal is to show you how to enter values into the DSC operating system, not to tell you what those values should be (although we will include some examples of values that you may wish to program). If you have a 5500 keypad, so much the better, but none of the programming techniques that will be discussed here are keypad-dependent, and programming can be accomplished with any keypad.

Very important: Before you even attempt to begin programming, you should have a programming worksheet in front of you. With new systems, you’ll want the “Installation Manual” (not the “Quick Install”). This document has the Programming Worksheet in the back. Before you begin programming you'll have the worksheet filled out with the values you wish to use, but even if you don't, the worksheet is an indispensable roadmap that will guide you through the process. It also contains the default values for all the programming fields.

UNDERSTANDING CODES

Although the term "Master Code" sounds impressive, the master code is simply an access code which gives the system owner a little bit more control over the system than hewould have with an ordinary access code. In order to program the system, however, you'll need to use what is known as the "Installer’s Code." For ALL the new panels, the default Installer’s Code is 5555. You can always find the code in the instruction manual or in the programming worksheet. However, to avoid confusion, it’s wise to leave the installer’s code alone until everything has been programmed, tested, and is working properly.

LET'S BEGIN

In order to program your system, you must enter what is known as "Installer's Programming". The command for this is *8; this is followed by the Installer's Code. So to begin programming you'll enter:
Installer’s Code
The “program” light will flash, and the “armed” light will turn on. This means you are in Installer's Programming, and the system is waiting for you to tell it which section you want to program.
It is DSC’s practice to discuss "keypad programming" first in the manuals. But unless you are dividing your system into two or more partitions (and if you have to ask what that means, then trust me, you are not using partitions). So let's get to the good stuff.

Basic System Programming begins with zone definitions. Since the definitions themselves are explained at length in the manuals, I won't bother to go through that here. So let's say you want to define your Zone No. 1 as an instant zone (which means if that zone is tripped while armed, the system will immediately alarm without any warning). The zone definition for instant is 03. The worksheet tells you that the definitions for zones 1 through 8 are programmed in section 001 (the new series of panels contains zones 1 through 16). So you'll enter
001 (to enter that section). The “armed” light will turn off; the “ready” light will turn on. Then enter:
03 (the definition for zone 1)
# (to exit section 001)
# (to exit programming completely)
So the entire sequence is:
Installer’s Code
##
There! You've just programmed zone 1 as an instant zone. Now let's go further. Let's define zone 1 as Instant (03), zone 2 as Delay 1 (01), zone 3 as Delay, stay/away (06), zone 4 as Standard 24-hour fire (0, and zones 5, 6, 7, and 8 as “null” zones (00), which you won’t be using for now. Here goes:
Installer’s Code
001 (the section number)
03 (Instant for zone 1)
01 (Delay1 for zone 2)
06 (Delay, stay/away for zone 3)
08 (Standard 24-hour fire for zone 4)
00 (null for zone 5)
00 (null for zone 6)
00 (null for zone 7)
00 (null for zone 8 )
##
Now you've defined all eight zones. Please note that you must start with zone 1 and proceed in order with the other zones. There is no way, for example, to just start with zone 5. Notice also that we did NOT enter the zone numbers, just the definitions. The system knows that the first two digits you enter in section 001 will be the definition for zone 1, the next two digits will define zone 2, etc. Remember, the worksheet shows you the default, or factory, setting for every value. If you're happy with the way it is, you don't need to change it, but you still need to enter all the zones in order. You should also know that the zone definitions used in our example are not conventional and were chosen for illustrative purposes only. Your zone definitions will be based on the way you want your zones to function in your system. And one more thing: you can exit the section at any time by hitting the # key. In other words, if you aren’t going to enter any more definitions after you’ve finished zone 5, for example, you don’t need to enter zones 6, 7, and 8. Just press # and you’re outta there!

MOVING ON

When you finished programming section 001, you pressed ##. The first # got you out of section 001, and the second # got you out of programming altogether. If you want to continue programming when you finish a section, just use one #, and you can go on to another section. Let's do section 005 (System Times).

Here there is a small difference between the old and new systems. The new panels allow different timing for each partition, so you must tell the system which partition you are setting up. So, if you are programming a 1616/1832/1864, choose section 005 and enter a two digit number representing the partition; for our purposes, we’ll assume it’s Partition 1 (the only one you are using). Then proceed to the next paragraph. If you are programming one of the old panels, then ignore my previous sentence.

As you see on the worksheet, there are four system times to be programmed: entry delay 1, entry delay 2, exit delay, and bell cut-off. Let's say you are happy with the default values for the last three items, but you want delay 1 to be longer (say 60 seconds). Begin Installer’s Programming, then enter 005 to program the System Times. Since entry delay 1 is the first item in that section, enter 060 (for 60 seconds), then # to exit that section with the other three values unchanged. What if you were satisfied with the default values for entry delay 1 and 2, but you wanted to change the exit delay from 120 to 60 seconds? After entering 005 to go into that section, you have to first enter 030 for entry delay 1, then 045 for entry delay 2 (those are the default values). Only then could you enter the 060 for exit delay, followed by # to exit. So even though you didn't change the first two items, you still had to enter them before you could get to the third item, just as you did in defining the zones.

How about an example? New system, leaving Delay1 at default of 30 seconds, change Delay2 to 60 seconds, change the Exit Delay to 90 seconds. Here’s how:
Installer’s Code
005 (the programming section)
01 (the partition) SKIP THIS ENTRY FOR THE OLD SYSTEMS
030 (30 seconds for Delay1)
060 (60 seconds for Delay2)
090 (90 seconds for the Exit Delay)
## (Exit Programming)

OTHER PROGRAMMING

By now, you should be getting the hang of this "programming" thing. There is one other type of entry that you need to understand. Look at section 013 in the worksheet. This section contains the First System Option Code. There are eight items in this section and each item can be toggled on or off by pressing its number. Zone numbers 1 through 8 on the keypad display show the current settings for these options. By default, options 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8 are off. Options 3, 6, and 7 are on. If you look at the keypad, only numbers 3, 6, and 7 are on. Let's say you want to use normally closed loops instead of End-Of-Line resistors. You would want to turn option 1 on, so you would enter 013 to get into that section, then press 1 to toggle option 1 on (the number 1 will turn on). You can toggle any of the 8 options on or off by simply pressing the corresponding number. This applies to any of the sections where you must turn options on or off, rather than entering values.

When “Keypad Programming” was mentioned earlier, you were told that you could, and probably should, skip it at the beginning (and perhaps forever). Here’s why: keypad programming includes the following items:
• Partition and slot assignment
• Function key definitions
• Zone labels for 5500 keypads
When keypads are installed they assume a default partition and slot assignment. They all default to Partition 1, and unless you are going to divide your system into multiple partitions, that is exactly where you want them (you can’t have zero partitions). As for the slot (a software address that identifies the keypad to the system), LED and 5501 keypads automatically default to slot 1, and 5500 keypads to slot 8. So if you have only one keypad, or one 5500 and one non-5500, the job is done as soon as you power up. If you have more than one keypad of the same kind, you may need to assign them to different slots. This will be the case if you are using the zone terminal on one or more of the keypads (keypad zones), or if you want the keypads to be supervised by the system.

So the bottom line is this: in most typical residential installations, the keypad programming (except for zone labels) is done automatically. If you aren’t using any keypad zones, there is probably no reason for you to bother with the partition/slot assignment. On the other hand, if you elect to do the keypad programming and aren’t very careful making your entries, you could accidentally assign the keypad in a way that will cause you considerable frustration
CONCLUSION

If your system is not going to be monitored, you should disable TLM (telephone line monitor) in section 015, option 7. But the purpose of this tutorial was to show you how to program, not what to program. You still have to make the decisions about what you want your system to do and how you want it to act.
  #10   IP: 190.80.47.29
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Okay well I've made some progress since our last posts. Come to find out I needed to "restart" the system by unplugging the battery, and disconnect the power to clear the flash memory.

I've now gotten all of the wireless devices working, and setup/mounted/tested. This includes the wireless PIR, wireless Door Contacts, and wireless key fob. I currently have all the wireless devices on 06 for zone attributes which i believe is delay stay/away.

I'm still having an issue with the "Wired" PIRs. The panel displays them as a faulted zone. I have them set as NC. And I currently do not have them hooked up with a resistor as I do not know if they need to be.

So with the exception of the "wired" pir's the system is pretty much complete!