Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 74.236.154.61
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Exclamation trane blower fan control board

I have a trane AC with gas heater. The blower will no come on, even when I put the fan on on. I also tried jumping the red and green wires. I opened the fan compartment and pressed the door switch, with the thermostat fan set to ON. I hear several clicks and the red light on the control panel blinks slowly, but the fan does not come on. The power is hot to the door switch, and then hot to the control panel when the i press the door switch, but there is no power to the fan. If I hook the black wire from the fan directly to the door switch it will run.

I do not see a model number for the unit. The wiring diagram inside the panel says "Integrated Furnace Control D341122P01, replace with CNT02789 or CNT02183.

Do you think that the control panel is bad and needs to be repalced ?

Anyone have any other trouble shooting guidelines ?
An HVAC place told me that the board to replace this one is now a CNT03797 - $149.

I pulled the control board out and it has a burnt spot on the back, so I am sure that the board is bad. I am ordering a new board now. Thanks anyway.

Jay

Last edited by jkta : July 16th, 2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Solved the problem myself
  #2   IP: 63.164.202.130
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Senior Member with Distinction

Sorry, just got back from vacation.

I would have told you to pull the board off and look at it. I'm glad you got it taken care of. Please come back if you need and other help.
  #3   IP: 74.236.154.61
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Thanks, I do have another question. I have another AC system that is low in freon. It is an old system (25 years) and I am sure that it is Freon 22. Do you know if I can use 134 ?

THanks again,

Jay
  #4   IP: 63.164.202.130
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM

No you can't. 134A is a replacement for R-12, not R-22. A 30# jug of R-22 cost me about $150 while a 30# jug of 134A cost me about $125. So cost wise, they are just about even. There is not drop in replacement for R-22. Alot of the makers of AC systems are turn to new refrigerants and R-410 seems to be taking the lead.
  #5   IP: 71.81.217.230
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Default Learned This the Hard Way

That burnt spot on your furnace PC board is probably where the Fan Blower relay has unsoldered itself from the PC board. I just had the PC board go out on my Rheem (this furnace is appropriately named) Furnace. Unfortunately I wasn't home when the blower failed and my house heated up. The AC Condenser unit (compressor) ran for who knows how long before I got home and heard it about to come apart.

At the end of the game, here's the score.... One 25 cent relay unsoldered itself from my IFC board on my furnace, shutting off the air handler blower, allowing my house to get hotter and hotter. My Condenser unit in an effort to cool the house kept running and running until it froze up and wiped out the compressor. Total estimate for repair of the AC unit $4910.00 (not counting the $94.00 I paid for the new PC board and installed myself).

As a side note. I have a Mercury Villager Minivan with rear AC and the PC board in the climate control panel upfront has gone out twice. This part is $270 from the dealer (if you install it yourself). I ordered one from a junkyard and it was inoperative in the same way as my other two. I tore it apart and guess what??? The fan blower relay had unsoldered itself from the PC board. I got out my soldering iron and put a dolop of solder on the end of the relay so that it made contact with the PC board and it has worked ever since. I tore apart my other climate controllers and found the exact same thing.

BTW I got the replacement IFC (PC Board) for my furnace from PartsGuy.com and could not have been happier. I paid $104.00 with SH for it and they sent it UPS next day air (only charged me for UPS Ground??). I had seen this board for as much as $224.00 on other websites. I have access to a wholesale supplier of heating and cooling parts and I will definitely check out partsguy again first.

Hope this helps someone
  #6   IP: 63.164.202.130
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM

To stop this problem from happening again, you can always install a ow pressure switch. That way if the fan ever stops and the compressor doesn't, it will turn you compressor off. The cost about $50.
  #7   IP: 71.81.217.230
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Default Fool me once....

<<To stop this problem from happening again, you can always install a low pressure switch. That way if the fan ever stops and the compressor doesn't, it will turn you compressor off. The cost about $50.>>

Thanks for the advice. Many of the new units now have this feature built in. I guess because the manufacturers are offering a 10 year warranty on the compressor they don't want to have to pay because somebody's Air Handler (furnace blower) nuked their compressor.

I will be replacing my unit with a new (old stock) 10 SEER unit like the original and will definetly put in a low pressure switch, as I have had nothing but trouble with my Rheem (how appropriate) furnace.

Thanks for the advice...
  #8   IP: 74.236.154.61
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM

THanks for the help. I will see if I can fix the old board and keep it as a spare.

Jay
  #9   IP: 71.160.215.64
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Exclamation Bryant HVAC Blower Inop

I have a Bryant HVAC Model # 349HAV036050 and was told that its pc board needed to be replaced. How can I access this? My unit is up in the attic & is hanging from the roof wooden frames. I saw a box attached to the side of the unit, is this where it is encased? I felt good that I found this forum! My neighbor sez he spent over $1000 for his pc board to be replaced! I do not intend to part with $1000 even if I have such amount! If I could access this "pc board," I could easily repair or replace it myself.
  #10   IP: 76.175.4.187
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Yes you can. just go up to your unit and remove a couple access panels. You should be able to see where your board is fairly quickly. Then go to www.uri.com and click branch locator. Make sure you mark all your wires and double check them before you remove your board. Take it in and they will order an exact match.