Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Plumbing - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Plumbing - Existing Home Plumbing repair / Remodeling Ideas and Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 68.49.40.138
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:47 AM
jackblotto

Default Sump Pump Running all the Time

My basement sump pump seems to be running all the time. It just started yesterday. We have had no rain and I know of no leaks around the house. Ideas on how to proceed? I'll look to see if there is anything in the "tank" that is being collected, but assume if there isn't the pump will soon burn itself out correct? Help ....

thanks, dp
  #2   IP: 68.49.40.138
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Jackblotto

OK, so the "holding tank", if that is the correct word, were the sump pump is is about half full of water. The sump pump is running, but no water is being discharged. Ideas on this?

Prefer to fix before it overflows .....

thanks, dp
  #3   IP: 148.78.247.10
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Commonly the on and off adjustment is out of whack. If the pump is not pumping water and water was entering the tank you would soon flood. This tells me you do not have water entering the tank. The pump seems to be stuck in the on position needing work on your float switch. Feel down in the tank for debris that has lodge in the tank float stopping it from dropping that would shut off the pump. If no debris blocking movement of the float switch preventing it from shutting off then check further. Move the float up and down to ensure free movement and that the pump turns on and off. If pump turns on and off as the float switch moves up and down then check further. Listen to the pump if this pump is cycling on and off constantly then chances are you need to adjust the on off adjustment rod so that it allows water pumped into verticle pipe can run back down into tank when pump shuts off preventing this run back from turning on the pump again. This will cause the cycling.

Sometimes a pump will grab an air pocket causing the pump not to pump. Doubt this is your problem but shutting of the pump for 10 minutes to rid the air pocket should fix this problem.

May be the switch is welded not allowing the pump to shut off. If you move the float rod up and down and the pump keeps running suspect a bad switch.

Just some ideas

Wg
  #4   IP: 68.49.40.138
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM
jackblotto

I moved it around a bit and somehow it became "unstuck". The motor was running but the pump wasn't pumping. Filled the tank up about 5 times throughout today and it seems to be kicking on as expected and pumping the water out.

At this point should I simply feel lucky that I caught it before the motor burned out since I would have never known until my basement flooded or should I replace the pump just in case? Pump is about 4 years old and never had any issues. Not sure how long it ran before I heard it, maybe 24 hours, but the water in the tank was literally steaming ....

Thanks again, dp
  #5   IP: 12.220.83.122
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:56 PM

Pull the pump and inspect the discharge pipe right where it connects to the pump head.

If there is no hole in the discharge pipe, drill a 1/8" hole in the pipe within 6" of the discharge threads on pump, this will prevent the pump from airlocking again.
  #6   IP: 68.49.40.138
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM
Jackblotto

What does the hole actually do? Won't some of the water discharge out the hole and back into the resovoir when it is exiting through the discharge pipe?

thanks, dp
  #7   IP: 12.220.83.122
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM

The need for the 3/16" weep hole is to keep the pump unit from getting "air-locked". When a submersible unit is installed with a check-valve in the pipe, there has to be a way for the air to vent out of the discharge pipe (between the discharge and the bottom of the check valve). If this hole is not there, the air that is trapped under the check valve will become pressurized and in essence block the pipe. This will cause the pump to run, however little or no water will be moved through the discharge because the air will be blocking the line. It is true, that there is a small amount of water that will come out of the vent hole when the unit is pumping. We have designed our pumps with this vent hole in mind and it will not hinder performance in any way. This is true with all submersible pumps, regardless of manufacture.

I hope this answers any questions you may have, if you need anything else, please feel free to contact me.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike Yocum
Zoeller Pump Company
Technical Services
1-800-928-7867 ext# 8216
Fax-(502)774-3624
michaely@zoeller.com
http://www.zoeller.com

I got tired of explaining this factual evidence to people......so I had a representative of the biggest pump manufacturer tell it like it is.

I have copied and pasted this I know 60 times already.
  #8   IP: 68.49.40.138
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Jackblotto

Thanks much.

I'll take a look at the discharge pipe and see whether it has the small hole or not.

dp