Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 205.210.252.10
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
*Mike Davis

Default How to move ceiling light fixture and not leave junction box

#261: How to move ceiling light fixture and not leave junction box Author: Mike Davis, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:34 pm
----
I was hoping some of the pros could give a suggestion on how to move a ceiling light fixture a few feet without leaving an ugly junction box cover where the fixture was originally located. My problem is that the original fixture box was used to branch off a line to an outlet and light in an adjacent room as well as supply power to the light. (This room is on the first story of a 2 story residence so unfortunately I do not have access from above.) It is easy enough to move the light a few feet and run a pigtail off the original wiring to power the light in the new location; however I believe that code requires the old box to be accessable. Does this mean that I have to put a blank cover on the old fixture box and leave the ugly cover in the middle of the ceiling? Any thoughts, or will I have to pull down a bunch of sheetrock and run all new wiring?

Thanks,
Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#262: Author: joed, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:50 pm
----
You are correct. The junction box needs to be accessible. If the wires are long enough and you are moving in the right direction then you can move the wires. You can replace all the wires to the different boxes fed by this box. Or you can install a cover plate and paint it to match the ceiling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#265: Author: Mike Davis, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:30 pm
----
joed, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the wires are not long enough and since it is a popcorn finished ceiling I'm not sure how well I could get it to match. (I hate the popcorn ceiling, but that is another topic.) Anyway, I had a thought. What if I were to extend each of the cables by a couple of feet but leave them separate until they entered the new box location? Would the point that I added the extensions be considered a junction that per code would have to be accessable? In many respects the extensions would just be like a longer concealed cable. Any chance this would be permissible?

Thanks,
Mike

#267: Author: wannabee, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:02 pm
----
Sorry, same as a j box, splices not allowed, plus this could be a danger for you. Dust collection(over years) short, spark poss fire. Also a fault no one would ever locate where. Your only other chance(slim) would be surrounding areas where you may locate those wires(slim again) and refeed, such as closets ceilings and so on. Only other somewhat jury ri gging would be to have larger hole using a fan base molding 18" diameter making removable so as to get to the splice in J box (by far first choice). Is there any chance area above is accesible again closet ETC. GL

#271: Author: joed, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:59 pm
----
ALL splices MUST be in junction boxes that are accessible.

#293: Author: Wgoodrich, Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:43 am
----
You will need to find where these existing wires come from then reroute them with replacement cables to a new junction box where it may remain accessible. This would retire the old wires to that box.

Your popcorn ceiling may be textured over same as any other ceiling only using a bit thicker topping to cover the popcorn texture. Just cover the floors with plastic and after you have retextured your ceiling then use a wet wash cloth to wash the walls down of any topping that got on the walls. They will wash off easily.

Hope this helps

Wg

#316: Author: Mike Davis, Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:58 pm
----
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I do not have a closet above that I can put a junction box in so I will try to see where the original wires run and determine how hard it will be to replace them. If that does not look relatively easy to do I suppose that a cover plate over the existing box will have to work.

Mike

#356: Author: rlfrazee, Location: Olathe, kansas Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:14 am
----
Mike consider a secondary light fixture like a fancy hallway light or possibly a smoke detector in the old location. If light could switch with new light. If smoke detector make sure this isnt a switch loop....RL