dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Heating & Air Conditioning - Existing Home Heating & Cooling / Repair , Additions & Problems Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 24.223.174.162
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Default Armstrong Ultra II 97

May furnace won't ignite. I tap on the Robertshaw Model SP735A Ignitor and the system starts. Does anyone know if the Robertshaw ignitor develops poor soldering joints. I do plan on removing it and examing it or is there something else I should check?
Thank you in advance for any help,
Jammon
  #2   IP: 63.164.202.130
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Do you tap on the actual ignitor, or the ignitor contol box? If it's just the ignitor, I would pull it off and see if you can cleasn it up. You might have a bad ground and it's not able to get a good spark. If it's the control box, it's solid state board. I would just replace it.
  #3   IP: 24.223.174.162
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM

I tap on the Robertshaw ignitor control module, not the ignitor.
  #4   IP: 24.223.174.162
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloooo View Post
Do you tap on the actual ignitor, or the ignitor contol box? If it's just the ignitor, I would pull it off and see if you can cleasn it up. You might have a bad ground and it's not able to get a good spark. If it's the control box, it's solid state board. I would just replace it.
Thank you, but do you know if the module develops bad soldering connections. I have to reset first it, then I tap it and it starts working. I have all the tools to fix a solid state device. Have you had any success with repairing the module?
Jammon
  #5   IP: 76.175.8.38
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

It might be a sticking relay. You can take it apart and see if you find anything. If I was at a job, it's just cheaper to replace it. To pay me by the hour to pull the module apart and try to fix it is to costly. You can get a new module for a little over a hundred bucks, so being a service tech, I would just change it.
  #6   IP: 24.223.174.162
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloooo View Post
It might be a sticking relay. You can take it apart and see if you find anything. If I was at a job, it's just cheaper to replace it. To pay me by the hour to pull the module apart and try to fix it is to costly. You can get a new module for a little over a hundred bucks, so being a service tech, I would just change it.
Thanks,

I have removed the module and did not find any bad soldering joints. I currently can start the system by turning off the system, wait 30 seconds and the system runs. Don't think it's a relay now, will replace module.
Thank you for help,
Jammon