dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Electrical - Existing Home
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Electrical - Existing Home Electrical Repair / Remodeling Ideas / Problem Solving Solutions

#1   IP: 205.210.252.10
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:08 AM
*stephen.schafer

Default Adding a light to two 3 way switches and existing light

#253: Adding a light to two 3 way switches and existing light Author: stephen.schafer, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:22 am
----
Currrent setup:
Power source at light fixture (bottom of steps)
Switch 1 (3 way) at top of steps (14/2 between fixture and switch 1)
Switch 2 (3way) at bottom of steps (14/3 between switch 1 and switch 2)

How do I wire a new light fixture at the top of the steps where both lights can be turned on and off at the same time from either switch?

Stumped!

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
~Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#255: Author: rlfrazee, Location: Olathe, kansas Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:27 pm
----
Steve go to this link and choose the 3-way switch link. At the bottom of each wiring configuration is a link for multiple fixtures. I think you will find your answer. If not post back on this thread.....RL

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/swi...let/index.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#256: Author: stephen.schafer, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:47 pm
----
Been there. My dilema is with adding a second light fixture. With the power source at the existing light fixture, I think I need to have a 14/3 running from the existing light fixture to switch 1 in lieu of the 14/2 in order to have both lights on and off at the same time from either switch. It's a major job if I have to do that.

#257: Author: Wgoodrich, Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:04 pm
----
You are making way too much out of adding a second light fixture from an existing light fixture controlled by two switches called a three way switch system.

All you need is a 12/2wGrnd cable ran from the existing light fixture box to the new second light fixture box. In the first existing light fixture box connect the black wire of the new cable to the wire nut connecting to the black fixture wire of the first existing fixture. Then connect the white wire of the new cable to the white wire nut connecting to teh white fixture wire of the existing light fixture.

All You are doing is extending the connection of the black and white fixture wire of the existing light fixture to the second new light fixture box.

This controls both light fixtures from the same three way [two switch] switch system.

Below is the link the prior reply was trying to guide you to.

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/swi...ayfixture.html

If you had read the entire link for power at light fixture you would have found the second link explaining and showing drawings on do's and don'ts concerning adding multiple light fixtures to the three way switch system. Do you research and avoid taking the fast easy route. Normally the fast easy route takes twice the time than if you will take the time to read the formated explainations available on this web site. Being in a hurry while dealing with electricity only make it take more time. Wiring is an art with many fine details involved. One fine detail missed means you start all over again.

http://www.homewiringandmore.com/swi...ltfixture.html

Good Luck

Wg