dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Tips & Hints / Non - Interactive Forum Category > Plumbing - Tips & Hints - NO QUESTIONS FOR HELP HERE
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Plumbing - Tips & Hints - NO QUESTIONS FOR HELP HERE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS HERE - THIS IS FOR TIPS & HINTS OF THE TRADE ONLY. Post your questions FOR HELP in the applicable interactive forums section.

#1   IP: 71.197.173.35
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Member with Distinction

Default Here's one for you septic owners.

Was just called in to clear a drain on my God Daughter's house. Had 3" Abs for the drain, but she has 3 kids, 2 or which are not in school yet. Was thinking a toy car or doll down the drain. They had their septic pumped a year ago.

I ran my snake out to about 55'. Pulled it back in and 2 small pieces of cloth came back with it. Filed the pipes and they still didn't drain. Ran the snake till it dead ended again at 55', maybe 6 more times, and nothing was draining. I was pretty sure I hit the baffle, but checked outside and could feel the snake turning. I then followed the drain (digging) through 3 90's and an eighth bend. (What idiot installed this I have no idea). Anyway I finally got to the baffle and pulled the plug. There was a wad of toiled paper actually pushing against the baffle lid. I cleared that and a slug of toilet paper 6' long pushed through. After that was cleared I cleaned the baffle chamber and found that the entire bottom was loaded with calcium/phosphates, so that no solids could pass through to the bottom. Used the end of the shovel to break through 5" of deposits. Then scooped it out and figured I could skip lunch for awhile.

So the point here is: When you have the tank pumped (or sooner if you don't want to call someone like me) make sure the idiots that pump your septic check all the access holes, the baffle chambers and make sure that they are totally clear. I would also suggest that you take pictures of the location of the tank and where the intake and outflow is. Also suggest that you pull the plug on the baffles every 2 years and check for deposits.

This would have been an easy $1000 bill from a plumber.
"Only after the last tree has been cut down... Only after the last river has been poisoned… Only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." Cree Indian Prophecy.
  #2   IP: 72.35.118.5
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM

How do you pull the plug on the baffles?

The tanks we use around here are round steel tanks and they just have 2 4" PVC pipes that go up the ground for sucking them. Tanks are buried at least 4ft.
  #3   IP: 71.197.173.35
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
How do you pull the plug on the baffles?

The tanks we use around here are round steel tanks and they just have 2 4" PVC pipes that go up the ground for sucking them. Tanks are buried at least 4ft.
Around here they have the 2 main clean outs with rebar handles in the main body of the tanks and 2 small triangular shaped plugs also with rebar handles at both the inflow and outflow. Tanks are usually concrete. When the tanks are buried fairly deep, they don't usually put in any thing for checking the baffles, but luckily most tanks in Western Washington aren't all that deep. If I lived in an area where the tanks were deep, I would buy some 15" culvert to allow access for them.

Haven't had experience with steel tanks, sorry.
"Only after the last tree has been cut down... Only after the last river has been poisoned… Only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." Cree Indian Prophecy.
  #4   IP: 72.35.118.5
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Steel tanks are supposed to be old school 1960s-70s technology and only have a ~20yr service life, but that is what they use around here. I'm not sure if it's because of earthquakes, frost, or what but the concrete tanks aren't used.

We have to run them fairly deep because it would freeze otherwise. Water pipes have to be 10-12 feet down.

http://www.ampersandcom.com/ampersan...nChallenge.htm

Last edited by nate : January 16th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
  #5   IP: 75.110.94.120
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Member 'Self Help Master'

Send a message via Skype™ to pushkins

10 to 12'...wow I guess you need to blow out the sprinkler lines then ?
  #6   IP: 75.204.104.141
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

YOU SAID:
Then scooped it out and figured I could skip lunch for awhile.

Reply;

Don't understand, was it past noon ? Your work didn't help you become hungry. Having too much fun ? My opinion that was cause for charging double time ! Oops forgot this was for a loved one, I try to be gone fishing for those jobs. Hee Hee

Wg
  #7   IP: 71.197.173.35
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgoodrich View Post
YOU SAID:
Then scooped it out and figured I could skip lunch for awhile.

Reply;

Don't understand, was it past noon ? Your work didn't help you become hungry. Having too much fun ? My opinion that was cause for charging double time ! Oops forgot this was for a loved one, I try to be gone fishing for those jobs. Hee Hee

Wg
My God Daughter is the only female offspring in the family and I got a hug so tight I had to tell her not to choke me. What's worth more some paper with dead presidents on it or a hug?
  #8   IP: 75.204.104.141
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

And I am accused of spoiling my 30 year old daughter ! Who can figure.

Wg
  #9   IP: 72.35.118.5
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM

I don't know of anyone that has sprinklers. Normally rains enough in the summer that they wouldn't ever be used.

I've lived in cold climates all my life and it sure is interesting the stuff people can get away with living in warmer areas. I was watching a DIY show on TV the other day. They were working on a house I think in Azizona and the water heater and water lines were OUTSIDE!

Around these parts you can't even run plumbing in an exterior wall. If you HAVE to do it, you are required to build a double 2x6 wall and the plumbing is run on the inner most section. Asking for it to freeze even still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkins View Post
10 to 12'...wow I guess you need to blow out the sprinkler lines then ?

Last edited by nate : January 17th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.