dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Repair > Appliance Repair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

#1   IP: 142.176.139.98
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Unregistered

Question Kenmore Bottom Freezer Fridge Leaking from drain in freezer

My Kenmore Bottom Freezer Fridge has just started leaking a slow steady drip of water from the drain inside the top of the freezer. I cleaned the condenser plate under the fridge and moved the fridge and cleaned out all around and under it(in case dust was restricting air flow). Still it continues to drip. The drip makes a pool of ice on the bottom of the freezer and it continues to the front and leaks out on the floor. I reduced the the amount of food in the freezer, just in case the freezer was too full and causing a cooling problem. This made no difference. I've placed a cup under the drain for now, but this is only a temporary fix.
I wonder if I need to completely defrost the freezer to solve this? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
  #2   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Kenmore is made by several different companies, model#?

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Quote:
leaking a slow steady drip of water from the drain inside the top of the freezer
Plugged/restricted defrost drain is possible.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #3   IP: 142.177.33.127
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

Default Kenmore Bottom Freezer Fridge Leaking from drain in freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
My Kenmore Bottom Freezer Fridge has just started leaking a slow steady drip of water from the drain inside the top of the freezer. I cleaned the condenser plate under the fridge and moved the fridge and cleaned out all around and under it(in case dust was restricting air flow). Still it continues to drip. The drip makes a pool of ice on the bottom of the freezer and it continues to the front and leaks out on the floor. I reduced the the amount of food in the freezer, just in case the freezer was too full and causing a cooling problem. This made no difference. I've placed a cup under the drain for now, but this is only a temporary fix.
I wonder if I need to completely defrost the freezer to solve this? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Sorry, its a model C978-66792-4
  #4   IP: 24.213.88.224
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

C978.####### is a Canadian model, Canadian model look up's are normally not online

C978. is a Camco/GE built Kenmore.

If this is the 18 cu ft style ( approx 30" wide and 66" tall ) the bottom of the FF section comes out to access the beginning of the drain system....remove crisper drawers to remove the FF floor. Also clean the drain hose and "P" trap on the back of the refrigerator.

Will be similier to this style....

A plugged/restricted defrost water drain will allow water to drip into the freezer section.

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #5   IP: 69.231.44.131
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Default Canadian-made GE bottom freezer; plugged defrost drain

Hi, Jeff --

First let me say that I LOVED your write ups on applianceaid.com! I knew nothing about how refrigerators worked before reading them yesterday, and I've learned so much from the information you posted. So THANK YOU for educating me. Anyway ....

My GE bottom freezer has had multiple incidents of frost free failure, the most recent one being an apparent plugged defrost drain. Ice had accumulated above the drain hole to the point that it blocked the evaporator fan from rotating.

The GE repairman said that they've been told to spread the evaporator coils apart so that the defrost heater is closer to the defrost drain. He told me that modification is supposed to keep the water in the defrost drain opening from freezing over and causing a blockage. Do you think that spreading the evaporator coils apart will resolve the issue? I'm a bit skeptical, plus I'm a little worried that by spreading them apart, the defrost heater won't be as effective in melting the ice off of them.

I had read several online posts which talked about wrapping some copper wire around the defrost heater and putting the other end of the wire into the top of the defrost drain. Do you think this is a better solution?

As much as I like the style of this refrigerator, it has been a royal pain in the a@* with 5 repair calls required in just 18 months. Aside from the inconvenience & lost food, they've already replaced and charged me for a new defrost timer & defrost thermostat. The repair man said he couldn't tell which one might be at fault, so it was safer to change BOTH.

Less than 5 months later, my refrigerator got warm again. That's when they said I needed a new evaporator fan motor. (Probably because it kept running into the accumulated ice.) Well, I'm beginning to wonder if the plugged drain was the actual cause of all the icing up and not the timer or thermostat.

If only I had found your posts when all this started! I would've been able to ask some questions before he replaced parts.

On this last service call, the repairman happened to mentioned that my GE model was Canadian-made, and when I read the above post I thought my unit might have come off the same line. Do these particular models have a rep for plugged defrost drains?

I'm so frustrated with the constant breakdowns that I've even considered getting a new refrigerator. But the way they're built these days, it seems even new ones can have issues quickly. If I do end up getting another refrigerator, are bottom freezer units more prone to have problems? I prefer a bottom freezer, but if a top freezer's more reliable -- I'll gladly go with a top freezer.

Sorry to write so much. Just trying to resolve this ongoing issue. Thanks again for sharing your expertise. I wish you were here in Los Angeles! Would love to get rid of GE repair service, as I feel they're more in the business of selling parts and service contracts instead of finding out the true source of the problem.

Thanks again,
Susan
  #6   IP: 69.231.44.131
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Default P.S. model number

In case knowing the model number will help ... GDS18SBPBLSS

Best,
Susan
  #7   IP: 64.134.7.110
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Quote:
Do you think that spreading the evaporator coils apart will resolve the issue?
Resolve no, help yes.

Quote:
I had read several online posts which talked about wrapping some copper wire around the defrost heater and putting the other end of the wire into the top of the defrost drain. Do you think this is a better solution?
Resolve no, help yes.

Quote:
On this last service call, the repairman happened to mentioned that my GE model was Canadian-made, and when I read the above post I thought my unit might have come off the same line. Do these particular models have a rep for plugged defrost drains?
Yes.

Quote:
they've already replaced and charged me for a new defrost timer & defrost thermostat. The repair man said he couldn't tell which one might be at fault, so it was safer to change BOTH
They work together, they are often changed out together which is usually a better repair as they both can be intermittant.

Quote:
If I do end up getting another refrigerator, are bottom freezer units more prone to have problems?
Some what yes.

Quote:
will resolve the issue?
Resolve no, help yes...defrost thermostat added in series with the fan motor so the coils must frost up before the an comes on to prevent the fan from sucking any water droplets into it...meat pan tray/cover over the fan motor...there have been many "updates" and kit to help prevent the ice from building up.
Lately the only thing that has had any long term success is making sure the drain is cleaned/flushed out and replacing the foam divider. The foam divider gets saturated with water and keeps freezing up, the defrost water runs over the frozen foam and starts to freeze as well.

Pan evap drain kit

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #8   IP: 69.231.44.131
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Default GE Bottom Freezer defrost/drain issues

Thanks for your answers, Jeff. Since the repair tech spread the evaporator coils apart 3 days ago the refrigerator has been cooling. But I've been checking the condensing tray & the bottom of the defrost drain. The condensing tray is bone dry & the water level in the p-trap of the drain is getting lower & lower.

Should I ask the repair tech to try adding the copper wire?

Quote:
Some what yes.
Do you mean bottom freezer units are somewhat more prone to problems than top freezer units in terms of the defrost drain clogging issue? Or in overall reliability?

Quote:
...defrost thermostat added in series with the fan motor so the coils must frost up before the an comes on to prevent the fan from sucking any water droplets into it
Do you mean I might need to add a defrost thermostat to my refrigerator?

Quote:
meat pan tray/cover over the fan motor
Not sure what this means??

Quote:
there have been many "updates" and kit to help prevent the ice from building up.
Lately the only thing that has had any long term success is making sure the drain is cleaned/flushed out and replacing the foam divider. The foam divider gets saturated with water and keeps freezing up, the defrost water runs over the frozen foam and starts to freeze as well.
After watching the repair tech remove the plastic FF bottom, I'm a little intimidated to try it myself. Seemed like he had to muscle and bend it. Every time I feel like it's going to snap But I'd like to be able to open it up and clean out the defrost drain myself on a regular basis if I can.

Which part is the foam divider? Is it the styrofoam piece that's underneath the plastic FF bottom? On the parts diagram, I think they call this styrofoam piece the Evaporator Cover? If the GE tech doesn't think it's necessary to replace the foam divider (I'm on GE's Service Contract now), I guess I'll try to dive in and do it myself.

I clicked on this link, but there is no image of the kit. Is this also something I should get? It says "special order," so are the kits specific to each refrigerator model?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm a completely newbie to this arena

MUCH appreciation,
Susan
  #9   IP: 64.134.7.110
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Should I ask the repair tech to try adding the copper wire?
There is no harm is trying that as well.

Quote:
Do you mean bottom freezer units are somewhat more prone to problems than top freezer units in terms of the defrost drain clogging issue? Or in overall reliability?
Over all.

Quote:
Do you mean I might need to add a defrost thermostat to my refrigerator?
Add one to the fan motor circuit....that was one of the update repairs GE was trying with these.

Quote:
meat pan tray/cover over the fan motor

Not sure what this means??
Was a foam meat pan like piece added over the fan motor....didn't seem to help much.

Quote:
I clicked on this link, but there is no image of the kit.
Nope no pic.

#8...

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
  #10   IP: 69.231.44.131
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Default GE Bottom Freezer defrost/drain issues

Quote:
Over all.
Good to know ... top freezer next time!

Quote:
Add one to the fan motor circuit....that was one of the update repairs GE was trying with these.

Was a foam meat pan like piece added over the fan motor....didn't seem to help much.
Oh, you were mentioning different ways they've tried to fix this problem. I misunderstood & thought these were all things I needed to try myself.

I think I get it now. The pan evap drain kit is the foam divider. And the picture of the foam divider is part#8 in the diagram. Did I get it right this time??

Thank you SO much!
Susan