dcsimg
Self Help Forums

Go Back   Self Help Forums > Horror Section > Construction Horror Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Construction Horror Stories Witness or heard of a Construction Nightmare. Rather it be construction, electrical, or plumbing, this is the place to tell us !

#1   IP: 75.17.208.33
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Phelps
Default Construction accidents

This guy I worked with fell off the edge of the building when he was leaning over to strip concrete forms. He fell into a 55 gallon drum below and got wedged inside.

Another guy was working 12 stories up on the building being built across the street. He went to bend down, and his hammer was hanging from his tool belt and it acted like a leverage bar and catapulted him off the building to his death.

On the this coal burning power plant my cousin worked on a couple of guys were eating their lunch near a hopper and they noticed red splatters dripping by them, as they ate. Someone went up to check it out and found that some guy fell into the hopper from way up and broke his neck or something and died. What makes this story more strange is that it was the son of one of the guys eating his lunch below.

One Friday the 13th, I was thinking about how it was Friday the 13th, and I fell off a wall. It wasn't very high up though.

On an apt. complex framing job I was working on south of Houston, the whole crew showed up for work Monday only to find 1/2 the complex burned to the ground. Two story buildings reduced to about 2 feet high with metal pipes only sticking up higher. The aluminum framed sliding glass doors just melted. Nobody heard that this complex burned, including the boss. Quite the shock. And here the Friday before I was so neatly sweeping up the sawdust pile I made. The cause of the fire was from a couple of guys smoking marijuana who started this small sawdust fire to get off on the flames, and it supposedly got away from them. The complex was in the rough framing stage but it was a framed and roofed.

Another accident that happened on this job was that someone put an entire pallet of shingles on the roof over this porch and when we were wrecking out the 2nd floor porch from the fire damage, even though we supported it, it broke the support and collapsed on us and cold-cocked us all...but we were all okay. None of us knew that there was a pallet of shingles up there.

On this other job, someone layed out the concrete and steel reinforced columns off about a foot and *I* got the job of jack hammering them apart.

On a nuclear power plant I worked on, they working working around the clock. Someone on the day shift undid heavy steel maxiforms and had them set for the crane to fly them away. But the quitting time whistle blew and the guy left the work half done. The guy on the night crew climbed the maxiform and it fell back on him and squashed him to death.
  #2   IP: 68.50.164.191
Old August 26th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Default Not Quite So Gruesome But Still Strange

I was roofing my house in Idaho, had just laid out new sheeting, holding it on the botom edhe with large "L" shapped nail to provide overlap for drip edge. Undid my harness to restrap on another safety line. Before I could say "#%*&!!" or secure other line, I slid down the roof. Work belt caught L shapped nail head and kid brother came over -- strapped to his safety line -- to pull me up before I finished three story fall.

Same brother -- works a business called LaPalme Hardwood Floors out of Canastota New York (315) 697-8280 -- used a new brand a polueurathane the previous day. Went to work and did buff and recoat. Went home, started supper. Found he was short some ingredient, decided to drive his truck to the P&C. Opened door to get in and was inveloped in acrid white smoke. Ran to back, opened panel door to see his vacuum cleaner acting as if it were a commercial smudge pot in a Florida Orange Grove during a cold December night. Used hammer to knock cannister out of truck, where it spilled on ground and ignited. No damage to truck, or brother, but he makes sure that all cannisters and bags are emty before he goes home now.

I can tell you some gruesome farm stories too.
  #3   IP: 20.137.18.52
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM

Default Safety with Shapers

Years ago while working as a cabinetmaker we had a guy in our shop who did nothing but set up shaper knives. These were the old type that were locked in place by just the tension of the top nut on the mandrel. The new models have locking groves in the knives that help hold them in place. Anyway, half way through setting up a set of 4" crown molding knives he decides to go to the bathroom. A helper comes along and, think the shaper is set up, proceeds to turn on the machine. Out fly the knives and, while one landed harmlessly on the floor the other flew 20 feet accross the shop and hit a worker in the back and went completely through him like it was launched from a cannon. He was dead before he hit the floor.

The lesson here is NEVER, NEVER leave a machine partially set up. If you have to go to the can, break it down and start over when you get back.
  #4   IP: 207.35.6.2
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

I guess they don't use LOTO. No need to break it down just lock it out so can not be started.
  #5   IP: 69.208.81.126
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Default chimney fall

About 6 years ago i was working on a chimney on a two story house
I leaned over the side of the chimney and grabbed the flue liner
The flue liner broke off and i fell off the roof and landed on the garage roof
Then i slid off the garage roof and fell another story to the ground
I got up and walked away with no injuries
I was lucky