dcsimg

Thread: Tent Heaters

*peevuto Guest

Default Tent Heaters

#9754: Tent Heaters Author: peevuto, Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:33 pm
    ----
    Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tent heater that is safe?

I have investigated the small coleman one that sits inside of your tent, and has a small round face that heats up to warm your tent. It only reduces the oxygen slightly in the tent.

The other alternative I have come across is the forced air type that sits outside of your tent, plugs into your car battery, and has a dryer-hose type of attachement that allows you to blow hot air into your tent.

Anyone know of anyothers, and whether they are any good or not?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9768: Author: Wgoodrich, Location: Indiana Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:52 pm
    ----
    Both heaters you mentioned are UL listed and considered safe if used properly.

However you have risk with the infrared fuel heater in your tent. Most tents have enough air exchange to allow your oxegen to be adequate. However your heater is a fuel burner that if a sleeping bag etc. in your sleep flips over that heater you could experience a fire while you are sleeping. Just be safe and sure of where you place that type heater in your tent to aviod fire.

The battery type heater is a safer heater only if your not in the wilderness using your car battery. Get a deep cycle battery separate from your car if so your car will still start. Otherwise you may find yourself stranded.

HOpe this helps

Wg

Exclamation Heater, not for me

First, I am camping solo.

My old three person tent, with rain fly, was 'comfortable' down to 40 F.
    I wore long sleeved pants and long pants, but I was not cold. Once I was buttoned up a while I would not even be chilly.

A good sleeping bag, insulated ground pad, and a sweat suit kept me comfy whle sleeping down to 20 F.

The secret was every screen had a panel to cover it.
    My new tent is rugged and easy to set up. But the top of the dome is screened and there no way, as the tent comes stock, to cover it. The fly seems to funnel breezes into the screen and into the tent. (It is NOT a "three season tent".)

Either it becomes a summer-only tent, I devise a cover for the screened portions of the dome, or I get a new tent.

Rick

Default Help with camping heaters

Help with Camping heaters is needed. I have a son that has an odd allergy where he is actually allergic to cold air. How horrible at 11 years old and a boy scout!!! Anyway, he is suppose to be camping the first week of April (and of course in WI don't hold your breath for warm nights) I need to find a tent heater that we can talk to the committee and try to have it approved for him to use or he will not be able to go. We need the tent to maintain about 60 degrees at night. Is there anything out there that can be used in a tent during the night? Any suggestions for me to look into would be GREATLY appreciated by both of us!!! Thank you, "Can't handle cold in WI"

Quote Originally Posted by rememberme View Post
    Help with Camping heaters is needed. I have a son that has an odd allergy where he is actually allergic to cold air. How horrible at 11 years old and a boy scout!!! Anyway, he is suppose to be camping the first week of April (and of course in WI don't hold your breath for warm nights) I need to find a tent heater that we can talk to the committee and try to have it approved for him to use or he will not be able to go. We need the tent to maintain about 60 degrees at night. Is there anything out there that can be used in a tent during the night? Any suggestions for me to look into would be GREATLY appreciated by both of us!!! Thank you, "Can't handle cold in WI"
    If you are cold and want a safer alternative to a naked candle flame then get an aurora type enclosed candle system and hang it at around a foot from the roof of the tent so it doesn't melt anything or cause a fire. And never ever leave it unattended or lit when you are sleeping. I remember staying on wreck beach in Vancouver and saw a neighbors tent go up in flames from a candle that fell over. Tents are extremely flammable and a great way to keep temporarily warm when they accidentally go up in smoke, toxic smoke too. lol

I have done quite a lot of outdoor survival and living for long periods of time (2 years once) so if you have any other questions about camping outdoors etc... then just ask I probably have the solution you are looking for.

Oh and here's a great one I learned. If you want to have a small and controlled fire for say boiling a small amount of water or cooking food or heat for that matter. Then take a bottle of hand sanitizer gel that you can get from a grocery store or pharmacy. The gel keeps the fuel together and I have literally squirted it onto a rock and it held its shape without dripping all over the place and a teaspoon amount will burn for about 3-5 minutes with a blue flame which is hard to see during the day.

I even put some onto a wooden block once and it didn't even set the wood on fire it just burned out and only left a small black scorch mark at the edges. It also burns very clean and does not leave soot marks on anything and it pretty much just disappears completely once it goes out sometimes it leaves a bit of a sludge but not always, why that is I don't know. But it has saved my life more than once. Just remember to get the one that is gel based not liquid. I also found that the replacement bag types for the wall mounted units are great and you have lots of the stuff and the bag it comes in is very durable too, you just have to milk the tube a bit like an udder to get it to come out. Also you do not have to wait for it to go out before adding more fuel as it is quite stable and won't create a dangerous flamethrower type contraption lol

Also for getting rid of the condensation issue with tents put a flannel bedsheet in between the fly sheet and the body of the tent. It works great and see the other post I made on condensation in another thread. (there aren't many camping threads and only one for condensation issues check it out for a detailed description)

Thread Information