Thread: Sub Panel Placement

Default Sub Panel Placement

I am having a little trouble understanding the NEC book on panel placement. 408.13 does not give any straight forward messurements and 408.8 gives it for switchboards. Exhibit 110.18 and 110.19 is the closest that I found to an exact placement. Article 230.70 tells me where I can't place it , and there is nothing that states if I need a plywood backer or not and if so how big it must be. All I want to do is put in a 100 AMP Subpanel . Can someone help me out of this bad dream I am having .

Thanks for your time.

A sub panel is called a non service rated panel. A sub panel is a slave of the main service rated panel in the same structure as that sub panel.

A sub panel may be placed anywhere in a dwelling except in a bathroom, clothes closet or place of storage such as a storage closet.

A sub panel must have a 30" dedicated space wide on the wall for the mounting of that subpanel. The subpanel may be placed anywhere within that 30" dedicated wall space.

A sub panel must have a minimum of 36 inch clear approach in new construction or a minimum of 30 inch clear approach in existing dwelling not being constructed. The clear approach means from ceiling to floor.

The minimum height of a subpanel is out of reach of small children.

The maximum height of a subpanel is the highest breaker must not exceed 6 1/2 feet high.

The NEC does not dictate the wood backing because of different design of different brand and style of panels available. The NEC does require 1/4" air gap from the panel to the masonry wall. Some panels have a 1/4" raised mounting hole that full fills this 1/4" required air gap. Some have a flat back of the panel requiring the 1/4" to be ensured. The flat back panels would need some type of mounting style to ensure the 1/4" air gap. some use rigid nipples as spacers. Some use treated plywood for spacers when installing a panel style that has no raised mounting bumps on the back of the panel.

Hope this helps

Thread Information