dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing design questions

Default Plumbing design questions

Hi folks, I've finally got $ saved to do the plumbing in my 600sf cabin. I have a couple of design questions...first, we will have a septic system and hauled water only - do I need anything different in my vents/drain system for septic than I would a grid tied house?

Second, our bathroom will be centrally located in the structure, but the septic drains out the south end ( probably 12-14 feet from the toilet) I will vent the toilet/shower/sink through the roof with a 3" pipe. My book says I need a main stack where the drain exits the house...shouldn't it be fine vented from the bathroom only w/o a secondary 3" stack?

Also, the kitchen sink is planned to be about 9-10 feet from the bathroom, is there any option for venting that drain that doesn't involve me going through the metal roof again?

We are in unincorporated county so no inspections of any kind but I want to be safe.

Many thanks!
    Check out my house blog and see where we are and how it hurt me! http://house1244.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldnewhouse View Post
    Hi folks, I've finally got $ saved to do the plumbing in my 600sf cabin. I have a couple of design questions...first, we will have a septic system and hauled water only - do I need anything different in my vents/drain system for septic than I would a grid tied house?
    No

Second, our bathroom will be centrally located in the structure, but the septic drains out the south end ( probably 12-14 feet from the toilet) I will vent the toilet/shower/sink through the roof with a 3" pipe. My book says I need a main stack where the drain exits the house...shouldn't it be fine vented from the bathroom only w/o a secondary 3" stack?
    Yes vented from the bathroom is fine.

Also, the kitchen sink is planned to be about 9-10 feet from the bathroom, is there any option for venting that drain that doesn't involve me going through the metal roof again?
    You could use an AAV (air admittance valve) up under the sink. This is often done for island sinks.

We are in unincorporated county so no inspections of any kind but I want to be safe.

Many thanks![/quote]

Thanks!!
    Went to the big box store and can't locate anything that looks right for a flashing with my metal panel roof and the vent stack, ideas?

Also, do I have to use the white PVC? Why not the black, it's been in our house for 35 years with no issue
    Check out my house blog and see where we are and how it hurt me! http://house1244.blogspot.com

Thanks!!
    Went to the big box store and can't locate anything that looks right for a flashing with my metal panel roof and the vent stack, ideas?

Also, do I have to use the white PVC? Why not the black, it's been in our house for 35 years with no issue

Both are approved by the IRC and the UPC, Drain, vent and waste lines must be schedule 40. Some jurisdictions have their own code preference, so it becomes an inspectors preference in many cases.
    A couple of very important things to remember, use a glue approved specifically for the pipe material your using PVC requires a primer before glue application and ABS glue often has the primer and glue in one.
    You cannot mix the pipe on the job, if you start with ABS you must use ABS the entire job.

Thanks as always!

Would you mind telling me if this plan looks ok? I'm unsure the best way to connect the sink to the rest. Kitchen and bath are on same level.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking at a diagram or not but for the simplest and easiest way>>. if you can imagine a 4" line running directly from your septic tank all the way down to the toilet area, cause the toilet needs to drain into a 4" line. from this line you simply wye into the 4" with your 2" lines from the shower and vanity. The sink can be a 2" line from the sink all the way down to where the 4" stopped and then wye into it there.
    The toilet doesn't have to have a clean out (as it serves as it's own clean out if you pull the toilet), there should be a clean out wherever the line turns at 90 degrees.

Your plan sounds good to me.

Here is the plan I was trying to share http://www.flickr.com/photos/74619388@N00/9801719243/

My main question is the kitchen to bath connection, does it work to connect the 2" pipe that way?

If it were me I'd wye into the 3" line downstream a little of the toilet connection that way you can extend the 3" line past the toilet connection and add a clean out on the very end.
    You don't have to cause the toilet once pulled acts as a legitimate clean out point, but for convenience sake it would be easier and quicker then pulling the toilet. ( I hate wax rings...urrrg ).

Thanks. Does the kitchen to shower join work as is?

I was initially thinking that the toilet and rest would go into the vent stack and then that Same pipe goes down to the floor and out to the septic.

Does that make sense?

Yes the kitchen to shower works okay. Ideally there would be a vent stack on the shower line/vanity line, but I think code says that you can have a max. of 6' from fixture to stack, so the toilet stack location should work as well.
    If the vanity line runs inside an interior wall you could add an AVV to it inside the wall, but when you do that you need to have an access panel as well to access the AVV..
    This is often done for washing machine lines in remodels where the laundry room has a room above etc...

Thread Information