dcsimg

Thread: New shower pan drain 2 inches offset from existing drain

Default New shower pan drain 2 inches offset from existing drain

Installing new show pan and drain opening is 2 inches off from previous shower drain. This in concrete and I have opening 18" square to work with and removed dirt down 15". Tried finding fittings for abs to move over 2" but the fittings themselves are more then 2" in thickness.
    Is there an offset drain that would move over 2" or does someone have some other idea?

Will two short 45 elbows get what you need (or 22.5 elbows if you can find them), or is that also too far of an offset? I think it would work with two normal 45 degree PVC fittings (for pressurized water), but not sure if that is a good idea in a drain.

Have you dug down far enough to see where the drain is horizontal? If so, cut off the elbow going vertical in the horizontal run. Maybe even cut further into the horizontal run. Then extend the horizontal run with new pipe, a coupler, and a new elbow coming up.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Default New shower pan drain 2 inches offset from existing drain

Quote Originally Posted by suemarkp View Post
    Will two short 45 elbows get what you need (or 22.5 elbows if you can find them), or is that also too far of an offset? I think it would work with two normal 45 degree PVC fittings (for pressurized water), but not sure if that is a good idea in a drain.

Have you dug down far enough to see where the drain is horizontal? If so, cut off the elbow going vertical in the horizontal run. Maybe even cut further into the horizontal run. Then extend the horizontal run with new pipe, a coupler, and a new elbow coming up.
    Two 45 elbows move it to far, more then 2". 22.5 elbows not far enough, 1.5 inches. Have dug down to the P trap and the horizontal is further under the concrete slab plus there is a piece of rebar in the ground holding the horizontal in place. Don't know what will happen if I cut the abs on the other side of the rebar.

How much length do you have to work with? Using two 22.5" bends with a longer section between them allows for differing offset length. Sounds like the 45 with minimum length goes too far.

You could do what electricians do -- put a section of PVC in a hot bed and bend an offset by hand (use end caps so it doesn't oval or collapse).
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Thread Information